Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Hook

Default No Hook

been bowling since aug and i can throw a straight ball so far its been okay. do i have to throw a hook to be a good bowler? I have a mid-level ball with a good core that smashes through the pins.

I'd say it depends on your definition of 'good'.

Especially on league lanes, a good consistent hook will usually allow for a larger margin of error. Not so true when you move onto the sport patterns. Even there though a hook will usually improve the path through the pins ensuring more strikes (I bet somebody has a link bookmarked somewhere to show the various paths and deflections with and without hook).

You can get a fairly respectable average with a straight ball, out scoring many hook bowlers if you have the accuracy. If you can hook though it'll give you the opportunity to get just that little bit higher...if you get it right.

But then again, unless you're planning on entering scratch tournaments I'm all for bowling in whatever style you enjoy. I think too many recreational bowlers stop enjoying the game so much because they feel the need to look like and score like their favorite PBA star and for most it's never gonna happen.
    Tony

Chats: 4

The best advice I can give you is to do what feels most comfortable to you and easiest for you to do
    and gets you the highest scores so if that means staying with a straight ball then so be it. I'd have to
    say take a look at say Walter Ray Williams he doesn't throw a big hook all the time and another one of
    the greats Earl Anthony didn't throw a great big hook ball he was more of a stroker style of bowler with
    a down and in straighter style with very little hook.

I know a few bowlers here at out center that do not throw any kind of hook ball some of them are straight
    down the middle boards bowlers and a few others just shoot off of the corner straight at the head pin and
    several of them hold well over 200 averages so I guess to answer your original question the answer would
    have to be NO you do not have to throw a big hook ball to be a good bowler.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Ringer
    Chats: 0

LBL. i agree with all the comments here in this post. bowl how you feel comfortable and work on your accuracy but don't be afraid to change it up a bit and practice that hook. you may find that with a bit of practice you can throw a good hook. years and years ago I started working on my hook shot and it started to become easier but then I dropped out of the sport. now I would like to work on it again. I have found it a big help to watch some of the videos that are posted and to read all the posts here. i wissh you the very best.

Bri

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Despite all the flash and hype all that matters at the end of the game is the score. The biggest thing needed to score high is accuracy. Strike percentage is usually higher for a hook due to the ability to create more carry (flying pins our your friend). Entry angle is key but there is nothing saying how you have to get that angle.
    Also, most of the better bowlers in my area throw with a lot less hook than I do and they consistently out perform me.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

In fact in my City its illegal to be a Hooker,,,, Maybe your town too.... So streight might not be a bad way to go!! ( (Had to type it)!

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    In fact in my City its illegal to be a Hooker,,,, Maybe your town too.... So streight might not be a bad way to go!! ( (Had to type it)!
    Hahaha.. You're on fire tonight Mike.. Cracking me up

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    hahaha nice one Mike! But I think in Sin City, you'd have to think twice about that one, haha

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Well, there's a little saying we have: "It ain't how, it's how many."

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Well, there's a little saying we have: "It ain't how, it's how many."
    That's a great saying.

I say bowl how you are the most comfortable. If that works for you and you are consistent, then do it the way you have been. All that matters is that you are consistently hitting the pocket and knocking down pins. If you are knocking them down, I would just work on being consistent and developing a nice rhythm for your style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast