Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the roll phase be the culprit?

Banned
    Chats: 100

Default Can the roll phase be the culprit?

When I think of hook, I think of that back end reaction that snaps from right to left. But from everything I've read, the 'hook' phase is during the midlane where it kind of puts the breaks on rightwards ball motion and keeps it in line to a point where it WILL then jump. So when I think of hook I think of when it's at its point of jumping from right to left, but now I'm thinking this is the roll phase?

I video taped myself and the ball does JUMP from right to left but it does so very close to the pins... so it may be because of speed dominance it really is just going too long? In other words, if the lane was 10 feet longer, I WOULD see a huge right to left hook.
    The worry I have is that if it starts its roll phase earlier, will that mean less carry?

So tomorrow I will try lower surface, as well as more up the back release and try to balance it.

The skid phase is from where it leaves your hand and goes to just before the breakpoint; the ball goes away from you will spinning in another direction. Then it hits the hook phase where it grabs the lane and goes in the same direction as the spin. The ball also can give the illusion of picking up speed here. I say illusion because it's usually just that the spin and direction of movement now match. The roll phase should occur just before the ball reaches the pins. At this point it may appear to straighten out some and roll through the pocket. If I'm undertanding what you're saying correctly then your ball is breaking very close to the pins and never has a chance to get into the roll phase. The roll should occur about a foot or so before the pocket. Speed dominance can cause this as will not getting the ball out far enough. Rolling too early (rolling out) can cause less carry but if in the right area will cause more carry than rolling too late or not at all. You're right, balance of the phases is the key.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Three Phases of Ball Motion

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-18-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Video Examples: Phases of ball motion by USBC

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Three Phases of Ball Motion

I'm getting the 403 forbidden message again when trying to view (open in new tab)
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Banned

Hmm well it does get in a roll right before the pocket a couple feet.. I thought maybe it was supposed to start more like 5-10 feet to give that big back end. Always a puzzle with bowling.

Banned

Also the more I study this the more I realize im trying to turn my wrist THEN lift with fingers. Too much loft and skid lately. I think I'll start lifting with fingers starting from a 7/8 o'clock position and either that creates siderotation but not too much, or the fingers naturally rotate or no siderotation but im gonna just try it because maybe my tilt is too much

Banned

Err axis rotation too much. But I think tilt is too much too

Cranker
    Chats: 7

BOWL1820-Thanks for the diagrams and video! So if i'm to understand,the midlane read is actually the hook phase?

Zothen

Banned

Funny isn't it? Anyone else fooled into thinking the roll was the hook?
    Oh well lesson learned. I know what to look for now. Going to change my release (more revs less skid hopefully) and hopefully get a motion more now I want.. Really curved. Then will try lower speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast