Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Contest Dec 23, 2013 to Dec 29, 2013 - Hammer Cold Blood

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    This is a very aggressive ball on of the strongest on the market right now
    If you go by bowling ball.com's "Perfect Scale"…which I personally feel is the best, most fair rating scale…it is #14-15 of current balls, tied with the Storm BYTE.

However, that list doesn't include older model balls. I have 900 Global Bullet Train in my closet undrilled…and it's got a higher PerfectScale rating (slightly) than the Cold Blood. And bowling ball.com doesn't list every manufacturer. There are some Lord Field and Lane #1 balls that I "think" have a bigger back end…but I don't think bowling ball.com carries those brands.

But yes, it does appear to be the highest hook rated Hammer ball. Despite having a ball in their line-up called "Absolute Hook"…which is far less "hooking" than the Cold Blood (according to PerfectScale).
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 243

This is a very aggressive ball on of the strongest on the market right now
    I disagree. Strong ball? Sure. One of the strongest? Not so much
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    I disagree. Strong ball? Sure. One of the strongest? Not so much
    I personally don't know that I have ever seen this ball go down the lanes. I do have a few friends that have been saying they want this ball.
    I don't know that this would be a good match for me for league play since the houses are light to medium oil.
    It may be a good tourney ball or nice to have on the longer PBA patterns when the summer PBA league starts back up

Chats: 1

Yes I won this ball gave it to our teammate he is a lefty all the oil to himself and this thing is very aggressive has a heavy backed move. More then his disterbed.

I personally don't know that I have ever seen this ball go down the lanes. I do have a few friends that have been saying they want this ball.
    I don't know that this would be a good match for me for league play since the houses are light to medium oil.
    It may be a good tourney ball or nice to have on the longer PBA patterns when the summer PBA league starts back up
    I haven't seen many on the lanes yet. To me, I think Hammer messed up because they made this ball so similar in reaction to the First Blood that you might as well just get a First Blood. It'll be interesting to see more people start to throw it who have also thrown the First Blood (Bunny?) to see if they notice a difference.

Same thing with the Storm BYTE. Storm "claims" it provides a better/more consistent backend than the SYNC…yet the SYNC still has a higher PerfectScore rating…so I wonder if people are going to be disappointed when they shell out over $200 for a BYTE and find out it has less reaction than a SYNC or even IQ Tour.

Now your talking about a solid reactive versus a Pearl reactive there is a big difference there and if you are bringing in the IQ Tour you need to specify which one since there are two a solid and a pearl
    I haven't had a Hammer ball since the Black Widow Venom I thought the Black Widow series was a awesome set of balls. I have not been impressed with anything that I have seen since.
    With what your saying that Storm "claims" that should be true since Pearl's typically get down the lane further and have a better back end while solids typically start hooking a little sooner
    With as hard as I throw the ball I need that earlier rolling solid I do have a few Pearls but they dont get used near as much as my solids or hybrids

Now your talking about a solid reactive versus a Pearl reactive there is a big difference there and if you are bringing in the IQ Tour you need to specify which one since there are two a solid and a pearl
    I haven't had a Hammer ball since the Black Widow Venom I thought the Black Widow series was a awesome set of balls. I have not been impressed with anything that I have seen since.
    With what your saying that Storm "claims" that should be true since Pearl's typically get down the lane further and have a better back end while solids typically start hooking a little sooner
    With as hard as I throw the ball I need that earlier rolling solid I do have a few Pearls but they dont get used near as much as my solids or hybrids
    Said it perfectly. The byte is the pearl version of the sync and the cold blood is the pearl version of the first blood. Not to mention the perfect scale doesnt mean much. For example hammer made the first blood for ths yet its rated a 220 on the perfect scale which would be in line with a heavy oil ball which it is not. Another example is the raptor talon, prob one of the strongest balls ever made and made for heaviest of oils yet its rated a 218 on the perfect scale...

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

I think hook ratings are difficult because among other things, you can take any ball and drill it to hook. Especially with an asymmetric core. If you have an asymmetric core, and you use a layout designed for optimum hook…and add a balance hole…I mean…bamm…you got a hooking monster! Not to mention…you can take a plastic or urethane ball…throw it 2-handed or thumbless and get a massive hook.

There's just so many variables that go into it. Thats why I really appreciate PerfectScale for at least "trying" to make a consistent grading scale. And I also appreciate reaction videos where the company shows players of different types throwing the ball. Because I don't really care what a ball does when a high rev cranker throws it…that tells me nothing. But if they show 4 people and 1-2 of them are lower rev strokers…that tells me a GREAT deal.

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    For example hammer made the first blood for ths yet its rated a 220 on the perfect scale which would be in line with a heavy oil ball which it is not. ...
    I think it depends how you throw it. I've seen a LOT of First Bloods…probably the most popular ball on the lanes where I play…and I've seen it hook uncontrollably forcing players to move inside…and I've seen it have a nice arc…depends how they are throwing it. Haven't seen any cold bloods yet…interested in seeing what it does when it starts showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I think hook ratings are difficult because among other things, you can take any ball and drill it to hook. Especially with an asymmetric core. If you have an asymmetric core, and you use a layout designed for optimum hook…and add a balance hole…I mean…bamm…you got a hooking monster! Not to mention…you can take a plastic or urethane ball…throw it 2-handed or thumbless and get a massive hook.

There's just so many variables that go into it. Thats why I really appreciate PerfectScale for at least "trying" to make a consistent grading scale. And I also appreciate reaction videos where the company shows players of different types throwing the ball. Because I don't really care what a ball does when a high rev cranker throws it…that tells me nothing. But if they show 4 people and 1-2 of them are lower rev strokers…that tells me a GREAT deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I think it depends how you throw it. I've seen a LOT of First Bloods…probably the most popular ball on the lanes where I play…and I've seen it hook uncontrollably forcing players to move inside…and I've seen it have a nice arc…depends how they are throwing it. Haven't seen any cold bloods yet…interested in seeing what it does when it starts showing up.
    Im just gonna go ahead and direct you here http://www.modern-bowling.com/Bowlin...-Vegas-NV.html

Read everything

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast