Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling ball design

Default Bowling ball design

How do Asymetrical and Symetrical weight blocks effect the roll of the Bowling Ball when drilled with the same pattern. I know the pros switch from one to the other to change the break point but I still don't know what the effect of each is.

Quote Originally Posted by mparise278 View Post
    How do Asymetrical and Symetrical weight blocks effect the roll of the Bowling Ball when drilled with the same pattern. I know the pros switch from one to the other to change the break point but I still don't know what the effect of each is.
    Depending on the amount of asymmetry, asymmetrical cores will hook more sharply (faster transition) than symmetrical cores. Depending on the layout used, the same drilling may create greater or lesser differences between the two. A strong pin to PAP distance (4" and under) will not yield much difference, however a longer pin to PAP distance will "weaken" a ball with a symmetrical core while it does not effect the relative strength of an asymmetrical core. This is a broad overview of the differences.

Just adding this... asymmetrical balls are not as forgiving as symmetrical balls with bowlers with inconsistent release.

Chats: 32

First off even Symmetrical balls will have some degree of asymmetry before they are drilled. Second every ball is asymmetrical once it has been drilled. Asymmetrical balls come with a greater Asymmetry from the factory and can be enhanced even further by drilling layout.

Most Asymmetrical balls from the factory are designed to give the ball the ability to spin up faster and have additional track flare. That is why it is most commonly seen on heavy oil balls and balls made to provide a greater degree of snap off of friction. The degree of asymmetry in balls can vary by a lot the Widow line from Hammer and the Mastermind Series from Brunswick are both asymmetrical cores but have a relatively modest asymmetry. I've seen a lot of bowlers have success with these even those without a great consistent release at least as much as they do with any other ball.

The more asymmetrical cores may cause some difficulties for less release consistent bowlers but I'm not sure of that even but it is a popular adage.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I think it should also be noted that the cover stocks are going to have an impact on all of this as well.

While the pearls have to be cleaned, it's not as often as those that soak up oil like a sponge. Too much oil in a ball is going to kill the reaction.

I know because it happened with my Thug Unruly earlier this year. It got to the point where it would hardly make any move on burned up conditions. Thankfully, my PSO was able to get a ton of oil out of it and it went back to normal.
    Last edited by 1VegasBowler; 10-11-2016 at 02:44 PM.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3CXht9MA51E

Just seen this. Good video showing of how much ball reaction can possibly be changed by drilling and core effects with different styles.
    Last edited by Amyers; 10-11-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Current arsenal

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Wow didn't know God was a bowling fan....

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Bowling is one of God's many forms of punishment.

Feel lucky the lane is flat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus
    Last edited by Mike White; 10-11-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Lol Ford. Sure what do you think all that thunder is? Corrected it.

Current arsenal

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Nothing pers. I find humor in a lot of the post. I never have a typo myselt. Even some of the serious stuff if funny. The two or three guys who get into ball layouts usually loose me after one pap or Cg thingie. They can write 3 paragraphs and be correct about everything but no one else understands a word of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast