PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a foul line fear?

Hammer
11-03-2012, 12:39 PM
I use to have a concern of the foul line let's say. When I would slide I seem to be at least 1'6" from the line at the end of my slide. When I would try to get closer as I made my approach I would feel like I was going to end up on the alley at the end of my approach. I always felt that I would cross the line trying to get close to the foul line and end up on the alley doing a crash landing on the oiled part. I saw my bowling partner once stick on his slide after he threw his ball and tried to keep from falling over the foul line. Well he couldn't keep from going forward and jumped onto the alley with both feet and hit the oil and his legs shot out from under him and he landed on his back and his head bounced off of the floor. We got him up and he said that he was alright. He said that he knew he was going down and tried to keep his head up as far as possible so he wouldn't knock himself out. I guess stuff like this made me not want to slide close to the line. I have been able to get over the fear of being too close and can now be 6" or less on the completion of my slide. It seems easier to get a strike getting up close because my ball doesn't have the tendency to hook early when it hits right near the foul line where there is no oil. Plus it is easier to hit my target on the alley because I am closer to it. Anyone else here have this quirk?

Zothen
11-03-2012, 02:03 PM
All the time! I just don't worry about it and thats why I switched to a tennis shoe on my right foot and slide shoe on my left. It has helped my slow my approach down to a walk. My brother had same problem where he would slip and since he went to a tennis shoe bowling shoe,he stop hittng foul line. Just make sure the tennis shoe does'nt mark the lanes.

Zothen

noeymc
11-03-2012, 02:03 PM
i just bowl if it happens it happens i think thinking about it makes u foul i havnt fould in a long time

striker12
11-03-2012, 02:40 PM
i normaly never worry about the foul line and today in league i crossed it 4 times shooting a 10pin

75lockwood
11-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Personally i tend not to deal with the foul line, i never cross it but the buzzer isn't on to allow the little ones to get used to the game without worrying about to much. i do have an interesting story though, last year we had a new senior bowler join the league and week after week i would watch him take an entire step over the line every throw, but he wouldn't listen, so one day i asked if we could turn it on and this 150 average bowler bowled a 26....lol. but after that day he never crossed the line again :cool:

Davec13
11-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Our league leaves them off due to technical issues with them. If you really want to call the foul you can, but no one really does. Without the fear of the buzzer I never really even think about them. It did come back to bite the one girl in the *** during an end of the year tournament. She tripped the line like 4 times the first game.

MisterSinister
11-03-2012, 06:27 PM
My slide is way short of the foul line, and I don't know why. I don't think it's fear of the foul line. I need to work on that.

dutchlefty
11-03-2012, 06:32 PM
hei, i never dealed with the foul line untill somebody mentioned that i was standing waaayyyy behind when delivering.. so i got help and found a new position on the approach, changed the lenght of my steps. It took a while to get used to it, get the new rythem programmed in the muscles, but now i do not think about it anymore. It's all about repetition. And do not be afraid to step over in practice..Good luck.

billf
11-03-2012, 10:43 PM
The only time I feared it was when I couldn't see it. That developed bad habits that I'm still working to correct ten months later. I'm short of the line and tend to plant too much which throws my balance off.

J Anderson
11-03-2012, 11:33 PM
When our local pro tried to get me to shorten my approach,( at 5'8" tall I was starting with my heels on the dots farthest from the foul line and taking three steps) I moved a foot up on the approach and promptly slid almost the whole length of my foot over the line. Not the first and probably not the last time I left Chris standing there shaking his head in disbelief over something I've done on the lanes.

EboniteKid299
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
I only worry about it when I foul one time then it's constantly on my mind..

Ball99999
11-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Not really. I stand pretty close on the approach and don't recall a foul.

Hammer
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
My slide is way short of the foul line, and I don't know why. I don't think it's fear of the foul line. I need to work on that.

If you want to know where to stand on the approach so when you slide you are close to the foul line you stand with the heels of your shoes next to the foul line and take as many steps in your approach (4, 5,or6)away from the foul line and that is where you start. After you do this set up and go make your shot to see how close you are to the foul line. If you are still not close enough adjust yourself closer from where you started and try again to see where you end up. I did this and now I end up 6"
or less to the foul line. It makes targeting easier because you are closer to the pins.

billf
11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Technically it should be the number of steps plus a half for the slide but this doesn't seem to work for everyone as intended. Those with a real fear will shorten their steps to compensate without realizing it.

Tampabaybob
11-06-2012, 11:03 PM
If you're ending up 1 1/2 feet from the foul one and you do trip, you'll still end up with a face plat on the line. It's something you have to get out of your mind and have the confidence to know you won't go over the line . If you're balanced where you end up now and not feeling that you're falling off balance you should be able to move up and be balanced closer to the line.

Bob

GeoLes
11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
The rules state you must simply be in the approach area upon delivery, but not on or beyond the foul line. It's perfectly acceptable to release the ball from anywhere on the approach. Most prefer to release close to the foul line, but if you are a little further away, that's okay too.

J Anderson
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
The rules state you must simply be in the approach area upon delivery, but not on or beyond the foul line. It's perfectly acceptable to release the ball from anywhere on the approach. Most prefer to release close to the foul line, but if you are a little further away, that's okay too.

Legal, yes. Ideal, no. The farther behind the line that you stop, the longer you make the lane. The longer the lane, the harder the game. You really want to end up within 5 -6 inches of the line.