PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic bowling adjustments

jbeck
01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I know cosmic bowling is just for fun, but I seem to always bowl very low scores during that time...mainly because I can't see the arrows for #*$!
How do any of you adjust?

scottymoney
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Since getting back into bowling I have stayed away from cosmic bowling.... As I find it hard to concentrate with blaring loud music, kids running around and not being able to see the arrows well. If you do go, I wouldn't worry about the arrows but work on the rest of your game of timing, balance and form.

Go have fun too, if you aren't able to play the arrows just have a few drinks and play the 1 board! lol, well remember to just have fun.

75lockwood
01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
This is the main reason most league bowlers hate cosmic, can't see your mark so you don't know if you your even hitting it in order to adjust. personally when i go for practice and find out that its cosmic i start working on footwork and not about scores.

The other side is with cosmic normally comes birthday party's and with birthday party's comes poor lane conditions.

jbeck
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah it really is just for fun...my wife, who doesn't bowl as much and just got a new ball that I gave her for Christmas, does very well during that time and usually beats me in at least 1 game during a series of games. She got a 165 and of course she posts and brags about it on FB. I congratulate her on it, but she usually sees what I can score regularly. I think I'll just start bowling with a spare ball with her from now on since the lanes are usually broken down and those house and spare balls just go straight most of the time.

Zothen
01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I hate cosmic bowling! It's to loud with the blaring music,screaming kids,not to mention kids running on/off the lanes and interfering with my bowling,the multi colored lights as well as strobe lights flashing all about=miserable bowling experience.

Zothen

e-tank
01-02-2013, 01:27 PM
i can deal with everything but not being able to see the arrows. Went sat night to play with my new ball for 4 hours with my friend and i think only a handful of games were over 130

scottymoney
01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
A good rule of thumb, when the "cosmic" starts the oil goes away so you would probably spend a good portion of the night finding a line anyway. Have never seen cosmic or whatever you want to call it on decent lane conditions.

One of the alleys I bowl at I would like to know what it is like to bowl right after they oil them as it never seems to happen. Saying that I don't think I have ever seen them use a machine.

crimsoneyes
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
My local alley has glowing arrows and dots. The only problem I encounter is this weird light they have that changes shapes and moves around. If it hits my mark and then moves, I will miss everytime. But all in all I bowl decent with the lights out. I had a high game of 255 last week while cosmic.

AZBowla's Girl
01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
I think that using glowing arrows and dots would be a great investment for alleys who offer cosmic bowling so that those of us who go and actually use the marks to bowl can have fun during these times as well. I know that the lanes aren't always the greatest and it can be loud, but it can also be a lot of fun with some of the music and the lights going. Plus it is fun to challenge ones self with these kind of distractions, because if you can deal with these conditions then you can most likely deal with just about anything that comes your way.

UBowling
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Since it is very difficult to see the individual boards and arrows I would recommend watching the break point of the ball. Adjust from that.

billf
01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I just use the 3-point targeting method, move left and crank the crap out of it. I don't need an arrow or board that way and still slightly more accurate than when I was bowling blind :cool:

swingset
01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
My summer league bowled on the cosmic lights/lanes. Unlike many houses, they illuminated the lane with black lights, you could actually see the marks pretty well. I loved it, I bowled fairly well and enjoy the music and atmosphere. It made me a better bowler to tune stuff out when I'm on the approach, honestly.

MisterSinister
01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
If I do ever go comsic bowling, I don't even bother looking at the score. I just go, have fun with friends, or the wife, have a few drinks and relax.

Tampabaybob
01-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Real practice = having the lights on. Cosmic bowling = going out for the night with your wife and having fun. Don't worry about what your score is, save that work for when the lights are on. Remember......"BOWLING IS THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON AND THE LIGHTS ON"

CeKnauss
01-13-2013, 03:43 AM
I have this strange tendency to bowl more consistently during cosmic. While it may seem like there are more distractions, I find it very easy to adjust. I don't have to watch little details about the ball or the lane. The noise is so chaotic that I drown it out. I can focus on my primary nemeses: the pins and the oil. I line up my feet and watch the breakpoint. Doesn't get much more simple than that.

scottymoney
01-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I have this strange tendency to bowl more consistently during cosmic. While it may seem like there are more distractions, I find it very easy to adjust. I don't have to watch little details about the ball or the lane. The noise is so chaotic that I drown it out. I can focus on my primary nemeses: the pins and the oil. I line up my feet and watch the breakpoint. Doesn't get much more simple than that.

I don't think I have ever encountered much oil while cosmic bowling, that would be a new experience!

The noise doesn't bother me, unless you are on the tour bowling on TV there is usually some sort of noise in a bowling alley. I think the quiet effects me more, although I have had some decent games when I was basically the only one in the alley.

Davec13
01-14-2013, 09:19 AM
I go and just have fun on those nights. I do enjoy the one lane that gives cash for converting splits. It's nice to get paid to bowl even if it is only a couple of dollars.

GeoLes
01-15-2013, 10:13 AM
I see it from the lane owner's perspective. Like any industry, there is the particiipant's market and the novice's market, with money to be made from both markets. Bowling lovers, they might be, but they still have to meet overhead. They do that by filling the lanes, be it kids ane birthday partiies or leagues and coaching. That said: I know what to expect at the lanes depending on the day and time of day.

As I understand bowling, it is a game of making adjustments. On the bowler's level that means ball speed, release, etc. In this case, it means adjustng to the busy, distractives of family bowling. Noisy kids, house lights down, laser lights, strobes, pins illuminated. Rather than dwelling on what I can't see, I focus on what I can see and work on that part of my game. If the arrows are neon illuminated, I focus on rolling through a mark and seeing as much of the break point as I can. If I can almost see my break point, I work on concentrating on hitting that point through murky conditions. It can only help my vision and focus in the long run. I can also focus on precision, swing, release, delivery speed, etc. I save fine points score concerns for more ideal conditions. This is, after all, just another practice session. If I want to focus on spare conversions and the like, I simply select another venue.

Loyer807
01-19-2013, 10:32 PM
I've never been able to take Cosmic/Neon bowling to serious, mainly its the loud music blaring way to loud. I don't actually mind all the people I feel more comfortable being surrounded by lots other bowlers serious or not but I much rather prefer to hit the lanes middle of the day when they are empty just cause I don't feel frustrated if I'm throwing bad. At neon I can never see the boards either and the blinking lights throw me off when I got to throw, I usually try to huck it down the lane and crank it if it fails, Ill use a lane ball and throw straight as an arrow.