PDA

View Full Version : My form on video here

GoodGorilla
05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
I didn't know my friend was recording. Funny, I never realized I used my elbow that much. I am concerned about my balance arm in the finish position.

1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-5V7X3KRwQ&feature=youtu.be

2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg3i5XaLVzo&feature=youtu.be

3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feaW-BJWbNI&feature=youtu.be

JPbowl
05-29-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm not a coach, but i did stay at a holiday inn last night!

Suggestions: Keep your elbow in more, For your balance at the foul line I think working on your slide would help.
On your third/forth step you need to push your self forward with your right leg.

GoodGorilla
05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm not a coach, but i did stay at a holiday inn last night!

Suggestions: Keep your elbow in more, For your balance at the foul line I think working on your slide would help.
On your third/forth step you need to push your self forward with your right leg.

Not sure which elbow your talking about. As for sliding, I can run forward and still not slide. I have entertained many who have asked me to try, but I do have some s10's I have not yet tried out. As for pushing forward, that sounds good, it seems like I am slowing down on my 4th step.

Greenday
05-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Personally, what I'd like to see is for you to stay in your shot's pose when you throw the ball. You throw the ball, then immediately drop back. Hold the pose (Framing the shot) until the ball hits the pins. It'll help create a stronger follow through.

vdubtx
05-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I agree with GreenDay. Also, not really your form, but you sure spend a lot of time setting up on the approach before you get into stance with ball in hand. One thing I did notice I think in second video is you aren't walking a straight line.

billf
05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Try the S10s. When pushing into your slide the left foot should have all the weight on the ball of your foot. That's why it's a short step. most people's normal step has the weight evenly distributed. Sliding, even a little, combined with a good knee bend will help with your upper body being too far out in front. Ideally your slide toe, knee and chin should be perpendicular to the floor.

You take ten seconds to get the ball into position on the approach but then immediately go. Take a couple seconds less getting the ball in position and add them to a pause before beginning. It really will help create better tempo that you can consistently duplicate.

Your balance arm, from what I can see at this angle, needs work. It ends up almost resting on your slide knee. Use it to create torso rotation. When that hand comes off the ball, rotate the thumb down, pver your target and whip it back, palm facing rearward, as your swing passes your slide knee. You can gain more from this if you add spine tilt throughout your delivery.

Tampabaybob
05-31-2013, 09:04 AM
OK Good Gorilla, I'm glad your friend did this for you. Let's see....where do we start? First of all, and Bill is correct, that left arm of yours needs to be extended all the way out to the left. Second thing is your right trailing leg. Get that right toe down on the floor. Again this is for balance. This will allow you to be able to get more leverage at the line, post your shot at the line , enabling you to see what and where your ball is tracking.

This is one of the reasons we "encourage" bowlers to post videos. We're not here to pick things apart, we're here to help you increase your potential scoring ability. I would love it if every time I helped someone with their game, they came back and told me they shot their first 600, or 700, or even a 300. We take great pleasure in seeing our bowlers do well.

Try those things first, and then post another video and let's see how you're doing. Oh and by the way, get that ball down lower in your stance...not in front of your face !

GoodGorilla
05-31-2013, 07:32 PM
OK Good Gorilla, I'm glad your friend did this for you. Let's see....where do we start? First of all, and Bill is correct, that left arm of yours needs to be extended all the way out to the left. Second thing is your right trailing leg. Get that right toe down on the floor. Again this is for balance. This will allow you to be able to get more leverage at the line, post your shot at the line , enabling you to see what and where your ball is tracking.

This is one of the reasons we "encourage" bowlers to post videos. We're not here to pick things apart, we're here to help you increase your potential scoring ability. I would love it if every time I helped someone with their game, they came back and told me they shot their first 600, or 700, or even a 300. We take great pleasure in seeing our bowlers do well.

Try those things first, and then post another video and let's see how you're doing. Oh and by the way, get that ball down lower in your stance...not in front of your face !

About my balance arm. When I let go of the ball, I put my balance arm out in front with my tumb down. When The ball is falling on the backswing, what do i do with my balance arm? Does my balance arm follow my shoulder, or does my shoulder follow my arm? I don't think I can work on all things at the same time. My ball was in my face because I was trying to throw the ball faster. I started slow and hooked the hell out of it, but the lane wouldn't take it, out of all my releases, the lane needed my fastest speed and medium hook.

Tampabaybob
06-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Hey good..... Watch your video again and stop it at 19 sec. Then stop & start it quick to see the following frames all the way to the end. You'll see that, yes your thumb is pointed down, but your arm is also. You need to get it out "all the way" to the left for balance. AND keep that right toe on the floor. I'd like to see if you could end up "completely" balanced on just your left leg at the line. Get some practice in, trying it and then upload another video of you bowling. IF, you can do this you will be amazed at how much more leverage you'll be able to get delivering the ball.

Also as I mentioned in the last reply, try to hold your ball around waist high with your right elbow tucked into your side. Lean a bit to your right in your stance, so that the ball will swing under your chin area. This should give you a nice straight swing plane.

Tampabaybob
06-01-2013, 06:08 PM
You never completed your profile, so I'm not sure if you're in the next town or 3,000 miles away. If you were in the next town, you could get some free lessons !! Where the heck are you ????????? LOL

GoodGorilla
06-01-2013, 09:07 PM
lecanto, fl. I thought many of the power players kept their balance arm out in front until the ball falls on the backswing. I was trying to duplicate a sean rash balance arm, but failed to do so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjQbKLpa_A Yeah, looks like sean is rotating his shoulder at the top of the downswing. I thought it was supose to be an effortless thing, but sean makes it look almost violent. I hope I don't hit the back of my leg with my ball trying to duplicate that right. But after comparing my video with the pros, my balance arm is a total mess. I never knew.

I'm still pretty new to bowling less than one year, but I already got an 800 series and a few 700, with over a dozen 600. No 300's, but I missed it by one frame in two different games. I normally average about 180 on screwed up lanes in open bowl. I've been pretty lucky at times, but I usually bowl more than 20 games a week. I've been working on one thing at a time, I never really got serious about the balance arm, sliding, or keeping my foot down yet. Most people say my strong point is being able to create a variety of releases, but my spares are about 50%. Sometimes I get 100%, sometimes I get 0%.

billf
06-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Yes, power players put their balance arm out front and use it like a "windmill" to help power through the release.
When the balance hand comes off the ball your shoulders should rotate, with the hips, point it over your target. My thumb will be at my breakpoint helping to isolate it. To keep the thumb in that spot I also have to get lower with each step, just what a power player needs. Then as the swing comes down the hips and shoulders rotate back slightly as the balance arm powers back to your side, fully extended or even slightly behind your body.
Keeping the balance leg toe on the ground not only helps with improved balance but also helps to keep a player from over powering the swing. Accuracy is still paramount above all else so this combination helps to increase power while maintaining accuracy. More power can be generated but that is usually at the expense of accuracy.

GoodGorilla
06-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Also as I mentioned in the last reply, try to hold your ball around waist high with your right elbow tucked into your side. Lean a bit to your right in your stance, so that the ball will swing under your chin area. This should give you a nice straight swing plane. I'll have to try this some time, I've been pretty sick this week and wasn't able to practice.

Tampabaybob
06-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Ryan........Believe it or not you're actually not that far away from me. I'm in Seffner which is just off of 75 and I-4. I'll still be coaching on Saturdays during the summer, so if you'd like to take a short road trip down to Brandon, again right off of 75, I'd be happy to spend some time working with you.

Now, one of the things I see you mentioned, is you've only been bowling for about a year, yet you've shot some pretty impressive scores. Anytime I see that, I am immediately drawn to the conclusion that you have a lot of natural ability. That's great to be able to work with. So, let me know, come on down and shoot a few games with me and we'll get you going where you want to be. Either PM me here or send me an email: tampabaybob77@yahoo.com

The bowling center is Oakfield Lanes on Oakfield drive. Easy to find from I-75, may 5 -10 min drive once you get off of the exit. Quicker on Saturday's early when there's little traffic. Just let me know. We start the kids leagues again in two weeks, so anytime after that.

GoodGorilla
06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
I use to live downtown Tampa a few years ago. But if I was still living there I wouldn't have taken up bowling. I'm just lazy when it comes to getting coaching, I figure I would spend the money better bowling more games. I don't know the value of having a coach, but I could at least go down there one day and just do some bowling to be friendly. Sometime later this month would be good.

Tampabaybob
06-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Just let me know when you want to come down and I'll make sure I'm there. Any Saturday is good for me starting in two weeks. Look forward to it.

The German Shepherd
06-05-2013, 08:21 AM
I see a lot of bent angles in your approach and that tells me that you are losing a load of leverage. Your balance arm is bent - wrapping around the front of your body somewhat; your throwing arm bends rather early and your trailing leg bends up underneath your body as you throw the ball. All of these will cause you to lose extension, balance and leverage. Work on keeping your balance arm straight with your thumb pointing downward and also working on your balance, straighter swing and trailing leg.

Jay

GoodGorilla
06-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Today I had my first chance to practice using the balance arm better. I played crappy, right now it feels like using the balance arm right is harder than learning how to hook the ball right. When I move my shoulder backwards near the top of the downswing, I don't got a feel for where the shoulder should end so it was stopping at random angles, which directly affected the direction the ball went in. I wasn't throwing gutters, but I had much less control over the ball. I knew that this would happen so I'm not terribly disappointed. What I can tell is that using the balance arm like that dramatically changes the way I throw the ball. It seems like it can add ball speed, I'm not sure because the place I bowled doesn't have a speedometer. Tomorrow, I'm going to an ally that has one.

billf
06-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Using the balance arm, more of a free swing, spine tilt and all that, you will see in increase in speed...and revs. All with less energy needed and increased accuracy. Learning the correct shoulder angle is hard to explain here. Basically you want your shoulders in line with each other and with your hips but with all that pointing at your target.

Tampabaybob
06-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Bill.....Trying to get Ryan to take a ride down to my bowling center to help him out. He's less than an hour away and I think I could rally help him. Like you said it's really hard to put many of the pieces of information into words. Hopefully he can get down here this summer.

By the way, have you heard from Ben or Scotty? I haven't in 2-3 weeks. just wondering.

Hampe
06-10-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm just lazy when it comes to getting coaching, I figure I would spend the money better bowling more games. Get a coach! Trust me.....an hour with a good coach is worth more than 50 or even 100 games playing on your own.

One of these days I'll have to post a comparison video from how I used to play to how I now play after a few coaching lessons. It's worth it, believe me.

GoodGorilla
06-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Bill.....Trying to get Ryan to take a ride down to my bowling center to help him out. He's less than an hour away and I think I could rally help him. Like you said it's really hard to put many of the pieces of information into words. Hopefully he can get down here this summer.

By the way, have you heard from Ben or Scotty? I haven't in 2-3 weeks. just wondering.

I could go down there the 22 or 23rd this month. 22nd is a saturday.

scottymoney
06-10-2013, 12:11 PM
hey bill and Bob I will email you guys soon. been crazy around here same with Ben.

Tampabaybob
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I could go down there the 22 or 23rd this month. 22nd is a saturday.

Sounds good...just remind me a couple of days ahead of time that you'll be coming down. Just pull a map quest for Oakfield lanes. Real easy to find. Put my cell phone # in your phone just in case...813-716-3641.

Gunz1911
06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Sounds good...just remind me a couple of days ahead of time that you'll be coming down. Just pull a map quest for Oakfield lanes. Real easy to find. Put my cell phone # in your phone just in case...813-716-3641.

Sweet, Another number to add to my "drunk call" list. ;)

Tampabaybob
06-14-2013, 10:28 AM
LOL...don't think I can respond to that kind of help. The 22nd is fine with me. The kids should be done about 12:30 or so, so just come on down. Just look for the "old guy" in the Blue shirt that say's Coach Bob on it.

GoodGorilla
06-14-2013, 09:27 PM
LOL...don't think I can respond to that kind of help. The 22nd is fine with me. The kids should be done about 12:30 or so, so just come on down. Just look for the "old guy" in the Blue shirt that say's Coach Bob on it.

Sounds good. Would you be up for some games? I'd rather just play several games on my first visit. I can usually bowl anywhere for 8 to 10 games at a time. If you want to just coach me, that's fine too since working on my balance arm has messed up my game.

Tampabaybob
06-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I was planning on bowling with you as well. Don't think I can handle THAT many games anymore, but we'll see. Bring the balls you use the most and have the most confidence in. The house shot is 40' and the shot is usually around the 7 - 8 board. If you crank the ball you can easily swing it and score well. Not this year but last year my Thursday night league had 37 - 300 games ! It's a very good scoring house. I'll make sure we get fresh oiled lanes as well.

See you on the 22nd !!

GoodGorilla
06-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Here are the notes I took from you:

1. Keep right foot down by sliding it to the left during release.

2. Keep balance arm above shoulder height after release. You said I don't have to, but I do because I will stop doing it out of habit.

3. Keep bowing elbow as far into the lane after release.

4. Spare system.

-Do not look at feet at line up.
-Line up the ball 5 boards to the left of the arrow you intend to cross the ball over.
-If the lanes are dry, adjust your target 2 boards right, and move you feet 1 left.
-If the lanes are oily, adjust your target 2 boards left, and move 1 board right.

5. If unbalanced one way or the other after throwing the ball:

-Falling to the right means your feet are moving to fast, and need to slow them down.
-Falling to the left means your feet are moving to slow, and need to speed them up.

6. Sometimes if you miss your target by 5 boards or so:
-You are probably picking your head up before you are releasing the ball. So you have to make sure you are staring down your target until after you release the ball.

7. Looking out for a dead zone.
-If your ball is traveling over a line that has been played to much. Move 1 or two boards left, and same with feet.

8. Do not pushball away from the center of the body. Push the ball away from your elbow tucked in from the right side.

9. My ball speed for my Meanstreak is good for about 14.5 - 15, and crossing the 3rd arrow. Starting position was right foot on the 25th board.

Thanks for the help, and the good time. Hopefully I could do it again in a few months.

Tampabaybob
06-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Ryan....glad you could come down today and I hope that it will end up being very productive for you. You have all of the pieces of the puzzle, now it putting it all together. You have the knowledge, now it's putting it into use. Just be aware of what your ball is doing from the split second you release it until it falls off of the pin deck. Get some practice, try these things out that I showed you, and let me know how you're doing. Good luck and let me know if you want to come down again and we'll set something up. Had a good time too, and as you can see I love the game and love to pass on knowledge gained from many, many years of experience. You might say this is my legacy to the sport.