PDA

View Full Version : Grips and slugs?

John Anderson
06-16-2015, 09:52 PM
What type of grips and slugs do you guys all use?

I'm not the most experienced bowler ever and have only ever used lift grips without a thumb slug, but am thinking that getting a thumb slug for my next ball would be nice to have. Thoughts on this?

What grips do you currently have and like?

vdubtx
06-17-2015, 12:06 PM
I use the regular ovals for grips and a regular slug, I just go with whatever grips/slug the shop has at the time. Not brand specific.

RobLV1
06-17-2015, 12:37 PM
I also use regular oval grips and thumb slugs, non-brand specific. This is what I tell my students: whatever grips you use, avoid the flat "lift" end as it is counter-productive to modern ball reaction. In terms of thumb holes, I am very lucky in that my thumb never goes up or down. I have one piece of tape in every thumbhole, more for feel than for fit. If your thumb tends to go up and down a lot, I highly recommend getting the removeable thumb slugs in several different sizes so that each ball you throw will feel exactly the same.

John Anderson
06-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Can you elaborate a bit more on why the flat lift grips are counter-productive? I'm genuinely curious and will definitely avoid them if it really will help me.

As for the removable thumb slug, I'll look into that. I only have one strike ball and one spare ball at the moment, but I suppose it still would be nice.

RobLV1
06-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Can you elaborate a bit more on why the flat lift grips are counter-productive? I'm genuinely curious and will definitely avoid them if it really will help me.

As for the removable thumb slug, I'll look into that. I only have one strike ball and one spare ball at the moment, but I suppose it still would be nice.

The lifts are counter productive because modern balls don't need you to "lift" them, they need you to roll them as you rotate through the ball. When you lift a modern bowling ball it tends to read the lane too early and gets really jumpy at the break point.

John Anderson
06-17-2015, 07:59 PM
The lifts are counter productive because modern balls don't need you to "lift" them, they need you to roll them as you rotate through the ball. When you lift a modern bowling ball it tends to read the lane too early and gets really jumpy at the break point.

After contemplating your response, I read this little article: http://tamerbowling.com/to-lift-or-not-to-lift/ and I think that I understand why you disagree with using lift grips now.

Do you think that it be correct to say that lift grips often allow for higher revs with less energy being put into the ball moving forwards down the lane? Also, would using regular oval grips provide a smoother release?

RobLV1
06-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Yes and Yes.

LyalC52
06-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Oval Vice for fingers
no thumb slugs, I prefer to adjust my thumb holes with tape, both white and black

I will say I do miss the hard urethane finger grips from the 90s

vdubtx
06-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Oval Vice for fingers
no thumb slugs, I prefer to adjust my thumb holes with tape, both white and black

I will say I do miss the hard urethane finger grips from the 90s
I use tape with a slug as well. Mainly just 1 white piece for feel in the pad side of my thumb hole, but sometimes add an extra piece for fit.

LyalC52
06-18-2015, 01:55 PM
I use tape with a slug as well. Mainly just 1 white piece for feel in the pad side of my thumb hole, but sometimes add an extra piece for fit.

out of curiosity (please don't take offense) if you plan to put tape in the hole, why do you pay for slugs?

Amyers
06-18-2015, 02:00 PM
out of curiosity (please don't take offense) if you plan to put tape in the hole, why do you pay for slugs?

You still have the front of the hole unless you tape it also. Some of the balls cores are rougher than others. My first ball was very smooth and I didn't feel it necessary for slug but the second one I bought was awful so now I slug them all so they have a uniform feel. Also slugs mage it easier to change pitches and minor span adjustments.

fokai73
06-18-2015, 02:04 PM

Tape is used with or without a thumb slug. It is used to get a proper thumb fit. Not too loose or Too tight. I like a snug thumb fit and I prefer a relaxed grip. Any kung fu grip isn't good for the release.

Also, if a bowler doesn't use tape at all, he should buy a lotto ticket.

fokai73
06-18-2015, 02:10 PM
What type of grips and slugs do you guys all use?

I'm not the most experienced bowler ever and have only ever used lift grips without a thumb slug, but am thinking that getting a thumb slug for my next ball would be nice to have. Thoughts on this?

What grips do you currently have and like?

I use Vise products. Oval grips and EZ slugs black only.

I like slugs cause they are easy to work with and the feel, me likey :cool:

gefecht
06-19-2015, 12:18 AM
I use oval grip and thumb slugs in my 3 balls. That includes my spare. Just so I have consistence.

drich33
06-19-2015, 07:58 PM
? on grips i have had to different drillers on the one driller 2 balls have the 11 (11/16) and 23 (23/32) the 23 is consistent but the 11/16 isnt on 2 balls i have that and from the different driller i have the 43 (43/64) so now not sure which ones i should get when i order new ones any suggestions? really dont notice to much difference if any at all opinons welcome

John Anderson
06-19-2015, 08:01 PM
? on grips i have had to different drillers on the one driller 2 balls have the 11 (11/16) and 23 (23/32) the 23 is consistent but the 11/16 isnt on 2 balls i have that and from the different driller i have the 43 (43/64) so now not sure which ones i should get when i order new ones any suggestions? really dont notice to much difference if any at all opinons welcome

In general, a tighter fit is usually better as long as your fingers aren't getting stuck.

drich33
06-19-2015, 08:25 PM
thank you for the reply that helps i will go with the smaller size i had the post backwards the 11 is consistent it is the 43 and 23 that arent... thanks once again i really appreciate it

dougb
06-27-2015, 12:22 AM
Yes and Yes.

This is interesting to me. I have always used the lifts and am very rev-challenged (about 225 rpm). But given my slow ball speed I match up well. They are comfortable to me. Now I wonder how counter-productive they are...

Stormed1
06-27-2015, 01:49 AM
I use Vise power oval grips and vise easy urethane slugs. I also make my own IT slugs using the same Vise easy slugs

dnhoffman
07-05-2015, 02:54 PM
I use IT and still use tape... /shrug

Bradski9
07-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I use IT and still use tape... /shrug
I just got my it slugs in a few weeks ago, I'll probably have to use tape soon enough xD