PDA

View Full Version : How do you Practice?

RobLV1
06-14-2016, 02:32 PM
I'm trying to put together some research for an upcoming article on practice. How do you practice? Do you keep score? Do you have a specific goal in mind? Do you just practice strikes and reset the pins when you don't get one? To you ever do any particular drills? Please be honest!

1VegasBowler
06-14-2016, 04:24 PM
My practices vary from time to time, but my least concern is my score.

There are times I work on my approach, which includes footwork, arm swing, timing and release point.

Another time I may work on slow and fast approaches. Then there are times I work on just getting the 10 pin as a righty.

There are also times I work on things when my body isn't being cooperative, like when my slide knee and shoulder are being so darned cranky I have to see how I can compensate for when it happens when bowling in league or tournaments.

The only time I concern myself with scoring is when bowling against somebody for practice, or during league and tournament play.

One of these days I'm going to get a video camera & tripod so I can record my sessions to see what I'm doing right and wrong.

Kells
06-14-2016, 05:23 PM
I try to work on about 3 things every practice sessions. I don't really pay attention to score. I try to incorporate tips my coach gives me during lessons, whether it'll be a specific drill or general advice

Davidjr113
06-14-2016, 06:23 PM
I work on one thing only for a game or game and a half. I try to ignore the score, but honestly am pleased with a good one, disappointed in a bad one

LOUVIT
06-14-2016, 06:39 PM
as a senior making a comback, I started with my approach. Once I had that under control I started on my release. Scores didn't matter in the begining. I do need to work on my left side spares.

Huber
06-15-2016, 12:26 AM
I mainly work on things that I am not getting right. Then I like to take a game and focus on spares.

As much as I try to not look at the score the competitor in me is always looking at it lol

bowl1820
06-15-2016, 01:42 AM
First I roll a game to warm up and see how the lanes are, since open bowling there can be anything out there.

Then it depends just what I need to work on.

-basic form and release
-Roll junk shots to create spare leaves to practice spare shooting.
-Striking
-Do the moving and shooting each of the different arrows
just the basics

Then last game or two try rolling for score

Amyers
06-15-2016, 09:45 AM
The scorers are on while I practice sometimes I pay attention to them or not. It depends on what I'm working on. If I'm working on general accuracy and ball placement then I'll watch the scores as they are indicative of my success. If I'm working on something new or working on form I don't pay attention to them at all. I practice at least once a week some practices I have specific goals and things I want to work on some are really just for fun and I may even be competing with my wife. I do shoot at least two games of low ball shooting the 7 and 10 pins once a week.

mc_runner
06-15-2016, 10:24 AM
1 game warm up
2 (usually) games practicing what I'm there to practice (ie timing, or shooting at 10 pins then covering the spares, etc).
1 game for score/make sure my rhythm's back.

Unfortunately not much time to practice period, or to practice as much as I should be when I do get to go. Scoring is always on, but I don't pay attention to it except for the last game.

Aslan
06-15-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm trying to put together some research for an upcoming article on practice. How do you practice? Do you keep score? Do you have a specific goal in mind? Do you just practice strikes and reset the pins when you don't get one? To you ever do any particular drills? Please be honest!

I usually am working on something specific and it's usually the physical game.

But I also have practiced where I'm trying to compare things like lines or balls or even something physical. So, in those cases, I'd throw a few games one way, then a few games another way, etc...

Sometimes I need to play Low-Ball and work on corner-pin spares.

Sometimes my one coach will give me something specific, like "One game warm-up, 2 games on your normal line, 1 game using an inside line, 1 game for score."

But, I rarely practice as much as I used to...mainly because the lane conditions are so dry during non-league play...there's no point to it. I can work on footwork and timing and accuracy...but the results are going to be practically useless.

ep1977
06-15-2016, 01:56 PM
But, I rarely practice as much as I used to...mainly because the lane conditions are so dry during non-league play...there's no point to it. I can work on footwork and timing and accuracy...but the results are going to be practically useless.

This is my problem when practicing. The lanes are always dry and on those dry lanes I average over 220 but on fresh oil my average is much lower.

JasonNJ
06-15-2016, 02:05 PM
Honestly, I don't practice enough. But when I do it's usually 10 pins, so I usually shoot the 10 pin on a full rack, then I throw my strike ball for the 2nd ball so I can work on both.

Aslan
06-15-2016, 02:20 PM
This is my problem when practicing. The lanes are always dry and on those dry lanes I average over 220 but on fresh oil my average is much lower.

Thats likely because you either have a lot of revs or not enough revs.

With not enough revs, the dry allows you to play the track and get the ball back to the pocket. With a lot of revs, the dry allows you to bounce the ball off the break point. With a dry enough breakpoint...you can miss as many as 9 boards...especially right (for RHers) and the ball will still hit pocket.

I used to love the wood lanes as a stroker with < rpms. Miss 6 boards right...still find the pocket. Then I'd play on synthetics and go from averaging 168 to averaging 139. Good times. :( But, I just had to learn how to bowl and be more accurate. Now, if the lanes are too dry I have the opposite problem. Lower speed, more rpms...now dry lanes force me inside...force me to play a much tighter line...very little miss room.

ep1977
06-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Thats likely because you either have a lot of revs or not enough revs.

With not enough revs, the dry allows you to play the track and get the ball back to the pocket. With a lot of revs, the dry allows you to bounce the ball off the break point. With a dry enough breakpoint...you can miss as many as 9 boards...especially right (for RHers) and the ball will still hit pocket.

I used to love the wood lanes as a stroker with < rpms. Miss 6 boards right...still find the pocket. Then I'd play on synthetics and go from averaging 168 to averaging 139. Good times. :( But, I just had to learn how to bowl and be more accurate. Now, if the lanes are too dry I have the opposite problem. Lower speed, more rpms...now dry lanes force me inside...force me to play a much tighter line...very little miss room.
I'm a low rev stroker. In summer league after 5 weeks my average is 196 and they oil for the league. Over the same time period though in practice which is usually on dry lanes my average is 229.

RobLV1
06-15-2016, 06:42 PM
As I suspected, judging by the number of comments about lanes no being oiled, most bowlers are bowling for score whether or not they want to believe it. I can't even imagine knowing my average in practice vs. my average in league. This information is totally misleading; for instance is it the unoiled lanes that is causing the higher average, or is the lack of pressure and distractions? Whether or not the lanes have been oiled, you can work on your timing. You can also work on your release to change the axis tilt and rotation. You can see how the ball rolls, even if you never get it to the right side of the headpin!

Aslan
06-17-2016, 11:09 PM
As I suspected, judging by the number of comments about lanes no being oiled, most bowlers are bowling for score whether or not they want to believe it. I can't even imagine knowing my average in practice vs. my average in league. This information is totally misleading; for instance is it the unoiled lanes that is causing the higher average, or is the lack of pressure and distractions? Whether or not the lanes have been oiled, you can work on your timing. You can also work on your release to change the axis tilt and rotation. You can see how the ball rolls, even if you never get it to the right side of the headpin!

I feel compelled to respond to this, because I am about to enter some recent practice scores....

Okay, I'm going to have to come clean... My lifetime average (see awesome Aslan signature below)...is an average over 2,466 games over a span of roughly 30+ years. So, for me, recording the score has been a part of the routine. But here's where I would like to clarify, in defense of the kids who are getting interested in bowling and still recording things like this,

1) When I just bowled as a kid up until about 3 years ago...score was all we had. I never analyzed shots, or tried to wonder what improvements I could make to my bowling game. Bowling was just a great place to go on a date or when you want to have an excuse to hurl a heavy ball 20 feet while drinking. Score is all you have.

2) When I started to learn to "bowl" (still a work in progress), I would take notes and write down things...in addition to the scores. In other words, I was starting to learn from those scores. At this stage of a bowler's development, scores (as you are saying) become less relevant.

3) Fortunately, with the dawn of apps (not Apes)...we suddenly have a useful tool....in addition to our own observational talents. When my dad bought our first family calculator....that was thin and the size of a credit card...he paid $50 for it. Now calculators are either no longer necessary (we can just google it or ask Siri) or absolutely free to anyone with a computer or cell phone. In 1968, observation, a note pad, and a pencil were our analysis tools. Now we have video cameras in our phones, biometric analysis, slow motion, drones, and apps like Pinpal.

The great thing about keeping track of scores while you practice with Pinpal, isn't the scores, it's the statistics. If you don't keep track of the score...you have no statistics. You don't know what your first ball average is, or your strike rate, or your single-pin spare %, or how many splits you through. Which leads me to:

4) My current level, I probably record 1/4 of my actual practice games...because 50-70% of my practice is done during coaching sessions, which I don't keep track of in PinPal. So, while I still record some practice games at this stage, it's the combination of 1 through 3 above...routine, not my most useful stat, and essentially a way to get stats...

5) PBA Level elite....so upper echelan that their game is so solid...there are very few physical things to consider...the score is irrelevant...and they've had the same stats for the last 8 years.

6) See #5, but this guy is also so wealthy, he/she can also hire others to film him/her while bowling, analyze said data with a team of experts, put it into a useful presentation...and add that to #5.

Mudpuppy Cliff Notes: DATA. It isn't the score, it's the DATA. The more data you have, the better you can be. However you get that data...is up to you. Maybe you hate calculators and have 100 USBC and PBA experts on call to stand around and watch you. I bet you'd get some great data and feedback. Some, possibly conflicting...but you'd have a great volume of data. However, in 2016....for free (or $3.99 for something like PinPal), you can have a huge volume of data. Sure, I get more out of the games where I have a coach standing there...than I do from my PinPal stats. But the App, over the course of the year...costs $3.99. The coaches cost more than that for 4 minutes. If the only cost is $4/year and taking the time to press a few buttons on my cell phone...isn't the end data, the raw data, worth that price?

Tampabaybob
06-21-2016, 07:27 PM
I'll usually get between 3 & 6 games of practice in during a week. My latest attempt has been to learn how to shoot a deep inside line. I've always been an stroker and the last few years actually more of a twiner, but always shot 10 to the ditch. I've been playing around with the surface on my aggressive Brunswick and just recently hit on a combination that works well.
Outside of that, timing, accuracy, swing line, consistency of speed and release are the main things I pay close attention to. From time to time I do like to bowl on fried lanes because it gives you an opportunity to use all of you balls to figure out which one will work the best.

I might add Rob, that the one thing all bowlers have in common.... we're stubborn !! We will always try to make that first ball work, and usually wait too long, to make that ball change or angle adjustment. When we do and find out we did make the correct change, we kick ourselves in the butt for waiting so long. Probably include 99.8% of all bowlers. (have never met the other .2% !!

RobLV1
06-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Aslan: Data is as useless as scoring in practice. Can you control changes in your ball speed? Can you change your axis tilt? Can you change your axis rotation? Can you maintain good timing even when you have no shot? Can you honestly say your rev rate is higher today than it was two months ago? Are you staying behind the ball better? All of these things are valid aspects of your game to learn to control, and none of them have anything to do with anything on your APP on your cell phone! Rant over.

bowl1820
06-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Aslan: Data is as useless as scoring in practice.

Yes, While collecting data ( like on pin leaves, etc. ) during actual games can be of some use in helping define what you want to work on in practice.

Collecting that same data during practice isn't particularly useful.

vdubtx
06-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Yes, While collecting data ( like on pin leaves, etc. ) during actual games can be of some use in helping define what you want to work on in practice.

Absolutely agree. I never bowl for score in practice and work on a few things I know need help in my game each time I go.

vdubtx
06-22-2016, 10:57 AM
5) PBA Level elite....so upper echelan that their game is so solid...there are very few physical things to consider...the score is irrelevant...and they've had the same stats for the last 8 years.

6) See #5, but this guy is also so wealthy, he/she can also hire others to film him/her while bowling, analyze said data with a team of experts, put it into a useful presentation...and add that to #5.

You don't have to pay for someone to analyze your videos, or even film you for that matter. Set your phone up on a table or get one of those Gorilla tri-pods, they work great. Can take your own videos behind, to the side or even in front if your center allows that.

There are plenty of coaches that will analyze and respond to you regarding what they see is an issue and suggest some fixes for it. Bowlingchat.net is great about this. They have a sub section with certified coaches that are more than willing to help you out.

RobLV1
06-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Aslan: Okay, you want to keep data then keep it, BUT, forget about how many six pins you cover, or how many ten pins you miss, and keep track of some more important things:

What percentage of your shots are you able to post?
How often do you actually remember to watch your ball as it exits the pin deck?
How often do you remember to check the rack before you bowl?
When you are using the wrong ball on the wrong line, how many shots that are physically successful, regardless of the results at the pins?
When you change balls, how often can you strike on the very first attempt?

These are important stats for practice. Anything else is a waste of time.

bowl1820
06-23-2016, 11:47 AM
The first part of this video discusses practice.

https://youtu.be/eFQcPK5EI8k

djp1080
06-25-2016, 10:37 AM
When I go out for some practice, I'll expect to bowl three or four games. I look at the score, but don't pay much attention to it. I concentrate on keeping my backswing down and hand behind the ball as they go hand in hand for me. I'll test the lanes to see if they're pretty fresh or not by rolling the ball in various areas. Then I'll work on spare shots usually starting with the 10-pin and the 7-pin and work inward from there. When I get half way through game 2 or into game 3, I'll roll a few shots aiming at the pocket once I'm warmed up. I'll go back to shooting spares again while continuing to pay attention to my backswing and hand. I do work with a coach from time to time. If he points out something specific to work on, I'll do just that. Sometimes I'll just do quite a few one step or foul line drills before getting into shooting spares and such. I probably should do more of those than anything... :) Also, I never reset the pins when I don't get a strike...

billf
06-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Rob,
Working at the center I have access others may not.
1. pinsetters are usually on but scoring is never turned on. This is a staple of any of my coaching sessions as well. The look new clients give me when I tell them to bowl with no pins is priceless.
2. I always practice with a plan. Without purpose it's just going through the motions
3. footwork, timing, balance and hitting a target at the arrows doesn't require oil. Neither does working on different hand positions. Back to the first sentence: I can oil when I want but I try not to abuse that privilege. We have Sport Shot Friday where we put out a sport shot on half the lanes for ALL bowlers to practice on. This to me, is the time to see how the things we've been working on play out with oil.
4. When pins are up I try to purposely leave certain spares. Leaving a flat 10 intentionally is a great tool to show us why we may leave so many during competition. Same with a 7 pin. Now try leaving a 5-7 or 6-7-10 intentionally. Not as easy as it sounds
5. Also use targeting tools (pcv pipe like in the USBC videos) at the arrows and range finders.
Common drills
Foul line
1 step
release drill
catch and release

RobLV1
06-27-2016, 09:39 PM
Rob,
Working at the center I have access others may not.
1. pinsetters are usually on but scoring is never turned on. This is a staple of any of my coaching sessions as well. The look new clients give me when I tell them to bowl with no pins is priceless.
2. I always practice with a plan. Without purpose it's just going through the motions
3. footwork, timing, balance and hitting a target at the arrows doesn't require oil. Neither does working on different hand positions. Back to the first sentence: I can oil when I want but I try not to abuse that privilege. We have Sport Shot Friday where we put out a sport shot on half the lanes for ALL bowlers to practice on. This to me, is the time to see how the things we've been working on play out with oil.
4. When pins are up I try to purposely leave certain spares. Leaving a flat 10 intentionally is a great tool to show us why we may leave so many during competition. Same with a 7 pin. Now try leaving a 5-7 or 6-7-10 intentionally. Not as easy as it sounds
5. Also use targeting tools (pcv pipe like in the USBC videos) at the arrows and range finders.
Common drills
Foul line
1 step
release drill
catch and release

Your post emphasizes what I believe to be true: bowling centers are not willing to set lanes up for practice. Get the score out of there, and bowlers are more likely to actually practice without the score showing.

J Anderson
06-28-2016, 09:11 AM
Your post emphasizes what I believe to be true: bowling centers are not willing to set lanes up for practice. Get the score out of there, and bowlers are more likely to actually practice without the score showing.

We run an hour and a half clinic for our youth bowlers almost every Wednesday. Sometimes, i.e. when Chris Forry is coaching or when one of the other coaches happens to remember to do it, we use the "remove bowler" function so no score is displayed and the speed is not displayed. Even when we forget, only one score is shown per lane so any one wanting to know their score has to keep it manually. Some weeks we have a plan for the kids to work at. Other weeks we will ask the kids what they plan to work on.

J Anderson
06-28-2016, 09:43 AM

I usually start by playing my own version of Low Ball, try for the ten pin right handed, the 7 pin left handed. Sometimes I will then move on to shooting at key pins. I will go for the 10, the 6, the 3 and so on. I may try to convert the leave, or I might shoot the mirror image pin. I have been known put 4 balls on the return and use them in rotation. I may try finding a line to the pocket through each arrow.
The only drill I do on the lanes is a one step drill.
I never reset the pins in practice.
I tend not to set goals. I don't think in terms of " My goal is to make 95% of my single pin spares." I do plan what to practice. This week I should work on observing the ball all the way through the pins.
The scorer is on when I practice. I claim that I don't pay attention to it. I probably do if someone is practicing with me.

LOUVIT
07-04-2016, 05:55 PM
i have issues with practice, since I just come off a long layoff I should be practicing,yet I still shoot for score. i went 2 days ago to work on my 10 pin shot and couldn't do it. Believe me I should have

billf
07-04-2016, 07:05 PM
i have issues with practice, since I just come off a long layoff I should be practicing,yet I still shoot for score. i went 2 days ago to work on my 10 pin shot and couldn't do it. Believe me I should have

I have a few issues with this post.
1. length of layoff does not determine if we should practice. Of course it all depends on how much improvement you want to see. Given your age a PBA title probably isn't your goal but with so many PBA50 events in Florida, why not?
2. last practiced two days ago. Goes right back to the same reasoning for question1. FYI there are also drills that can be done away from the lanes as well as items to assist with them. See www.eileensbowlingbuddy.com for some great tools.
3. Couldn't do it. This is the one that set me off and the one I hope Bob gets on you for. You could have done it but you chose not to. You let the sight of seeing a bigger number on the scoreboard lure you away from what you needed and intended to accomplish. There was no physical reason making this happen you consciously chose to abandon your game plan, a plan you knew was right. It's time for you to step up the mental game.

I have a little speech I give all new clients and it's part of the contract we sign. "Can't is a word that will not be tolerated. Part of my job is to evaluate your abilities and determine the best course of action that will induce the fastest improvement. I will never ask you to perform a task that you are not physically capable of." "When I ask a question I want one of two things, your opinion or a fact. I don't want an excuse. I don't know IS an acceptable answer. If excuses become an issue even after several warnings our agreement to work together will be terminated. You will be told when you have reached your final warning so save your excuses for school or work."
Last one here is my favorite. "How we choose to determine what type of bowler you will be style-wise will depend on you and your physical abilities and not whether you were born male or female. Therefore "but I'm a girl" will be deemed a fact that is also an excuse and will not be tolerated. It's my firm belief that the physical traits needed for bowling such as a strong core and strong legs should actually give females an advantage. This hasn't happened and I believe it is due to so many being told they couldn't be power players simply because of anatomy."
I have two athletic girls that just love beating the guys. Heather is 5'2" athletic 125 pounds going into her senior year. She qualified second, finished third at a youth tournament in Kentucky June 26th. This earned her an invitation to another tournament there July 17th. This is an adult tournament, mostly men and invitation only. Top two earn an entry for the PBA Regional. Even if she finishes dead last just to be invited is a huge honor and will definitely help with college scholarships. Right now she is leaning towards Pikeville but still has to visit Weber. She is bowling three sport shot leagues this summer, JTBA, Future Stars and travel league on weekends along with other tournaments that pop up. She also works and we practice four days a week, 90 minute sessions plus she runs 5 miles every morning and hits the gym 3-4 days a week depending on how her body feels. Now this is a level of dedication and passion that not everyone can do. But it is why she will be a pro one day and hopefully an Olympic bowler (if they ever get in).

ep1977
07-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Practicing in bowling to me a big reason for the decline in the game. It's the only sport where you can rarely if ever get to practice on the same conditions that you will compete on. Especially if you would like to practice on sport shots, good luck getting the center to put them out for you. They already treat the THS like a nuclear weapon code.

There are many centers near me and NONE will put out a pattern for any bowlers. One of them will oil the house for Sunday morning open bowling so it's no coincidence that the house is packed every Sunday. If you oil they will come but for some reason center managers don't seem to realize this. AMF houses never oil except for leagues.

billf
07-04-2016, 11:37 PM
It's the only sport where you can rarely if ever get to practice on the same conditions that you will compete on.

The vast majority of football practices are not at full speed and not against the team you will be facing the following week.
Baseball practice even with live pitching isn't at the same pace or speed.
Same with hockey.
Speed skating.
Golf...18 holes isn't 18 holes. Shooting 18 at my local course won't get me ready for 18 holes on the PGA tour. Every green, fairway, rough and trap is different and they won't bring the course to me.

What all these sports do have in common: practice consists of consistently reinforcing the fundamentals. It's why pro baseball players hit off of a tee and pro football players hit the sled for hours on end.

billf
07-04-2016, 11:39 PM
There are many centers near me and NONE will put out a pattern for any bowlers. One of them will oil the house for Sunday morning open bowling so it's no coincidence that the house is packed every Sunday. If you oil they will come but for some reason center managers don't seem to realize this. AMF houses never oil except for leagues.

Have you tried getting with a few other bowlers and offering an extra $5 each to cover the cost?

ep1977
07-05-2016, 08:20 AM
The vast majority of football practices are not at full speed and not against the team you will be facing the following week.
Baseball practice even with live pitching isn't at the same pace or speed.
Same with hockey.
Speed skating.
Golf...18 holes isn't 18 holes. Shooting 18 at my local course won't get me ready for 18 holes on the PGA tour. Every green, fairway, rough and trap is different and they won't bring the course to me.

What all these sports do have in common: practice consists of consistently reinforcing the fundamentals. It's why pro baseball players hit off of a tee and pro football players hit the sled for hours on end.

Your points are complete nonsense! All of the sports you reference you can and most times do practice on the same conditions as you compete. In golf you can play practice rounds on any course in the country. Baseball you field ground balls on a BASEBALL field not on a concrete slab. Football you practice on a football field not on cement. Hockey you practice on ice same as you compete. The best comparison to bowling is the baseball fielding practice on cement rather than dirt and grass. This is similar to practicing bowling on sahara desert like conditions where you can't even use most of you equipment. I'm a low rev bowler and in practice I throw plastic very often.

mc_runner
07-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Your points are complete nonsense! All of the sports you reference you can and most times do practice on the same conditions as you compete. In golf you can play practice rounds on any course in the country. Baseball you field ground balls on a BASEBALL field not on a concrete slab. Football you practice on a football field not on cement. Hockey you practice on ice same as you compete. The best comparison to bowling is the baseball fielding practice on cement rather than dirt and grass. This is similar to practicing bowling on sahara desert like conditions where you can't even use most of you equipment. I'm a low rev bowler and in practice I throw plastic very often.

I disagree. If you were talking about practicing on a baseball field vs. a concrete slab, you'd then have to compare that to throwing a bowling ball on concrete vs. an alley. A baseball field = alley - regulation length, width, pins to knock over, etc. The best comparison in Bill's point I saw was the golf one. We can travel to get to an alley to practice on whatever condition they may be putting out there, same as anyone can travel to practice on any course in the country. Your local par 3 isn't going to be Pebble Beach, just like your local non-oiled wood mom and pop alley isn't going to be the National Bowling Arena.

Regardless, the entire point is practice doesn't need to count for score. The point of practice should be to work on something to get better, oil isn't a huge factor into that depending on what you're working on. If you need a sport pattern call around, ask around, offer to chip in some $ to put it down and see what the options are.

Aslan
07-05-2016, 02:46 PM
There are plenty of coaches that will analyze and respond to you regarding what they see is an issue and suggest some fixes for it. Bowlingchat.net is great about this. They have a sub section with certified coaches that are more than willing to help you out.
Yes. And, pray tell, how many DIFFERENT opinions and analysis do you think I will receive?

I'm sure I'll get every piece of advice from "you should try bowling 2-handed" to "You should throw Storm bowling products because they are superior."

I consider that absurd. Let me tell you why:

Many times...MANY TIMES...I bowl a few games and I have a sunken feeling of despair near the end of the bowling...that feeling that I couldn't pick up a corner single-pin if I was rolling a beach ball down the lane. And I feel like I just can't seem to carry. Then...I review my stats and I see that I actually made 9/10 single-pin spares...most of my open frames were splits or washouts, and I actually struck 39% of the time.

Suddenly, I don't feel so bad anymore. Did I get my 700 series? No. But the stats tell me what went wrong. They don't tell me everything. They don't tell me if I made too many adjustments or not enough. They don't tell me if I grabbed the ball too much or bent my elbow too much or if I didn't get low enough at the line or have the proper/ideal spine tilt. But the stats show me what the results were.

Sometimes, these stats are expected. I couldn't carry...couldn't find a line...ended up with a 25% strike rate...obviously if that continues...I need to have a talk with my coach...because I'm not carrying. Maybe it's a ball issue. Maybe not. Maybe it's a physical issue. Maybe not...maybe a combination.

I'm not saying scores and stats tell you everything. But they take virtually no effort and no time to keep track of. This isn't 1971. You don't have to keep track of all of this stuff my hand on pieces of paper. The machine scores for you. The phone calculates all the stats. It's practically ZERO effort. If you don't get much from the stats...wgaf? It's not a labor intensive endeavor.

Aslan: Data is as useless as scoring in practice. Can you control changes in your ball speed?
Yes

Can you change your axis tilt? Can you change your axis rotation?
Yes

Can you maintain good timing even when you have no shot?
Probably not.

Can you honestly say your rev rate is higher today than it was two months ago? Are you staying behind the ball better?
Yes, I think so.

All of these things are valid aspects of your game to learn to control, and none of them have anything to do with anything on your APP on your cell phone! Rant over.
I think what you're saying, is that while my $4 PinPal app may or may not be of use...the $130-$185 I spend a month on lessons is money well spent. I can agree with that.

Aslan: Okay, you want to keep data then keep it, BUT, forget about how many six pins you cover, or how many ten pins you miss, and keep track of some more important things:

What percentage of your shots are you able to post?
Most

How often do you actually remember to watch your ball as it exits the pin deck?
Not as often as I should.

How often do you remember to check the rack before you bowl?
I'll deal with pin placement when it's actually the limiting factor to my success.

When you are using the wrong ball on the wrong line, how many shots that are physically successful, regardless of the results at the pins?
I don't use the wrong ball on the wrong line. I use the right ball on the right line...but sometimes the lanes disagree with my decision(s).

When you change balls, how often can you strike on the very first attempt?
I've been getting better at this. Not PDW level yet...but improved.

These are important stats for practice. Anything else is a waste of time.

So you're saying....if a student comes to you with the below information....you'd consider it useless:

A) The student consistently leaves 1-2 and 1-2-8s. Rarely leaves splits.
B) The student has a 55% strike rate but averages < 185.
C) The student averages 180 at 4 different centers but averages 220 at a fifth center.

Now, I can keep listing scenarios...but the point is...sometimes (NOT all the time)...but SOMETIMES...statistics tell us little things. They may not tell us everything and they don't replace coaching...and are inferior to video most of the time...but they are a TOOL...like any other tool. Stats can be over-used, under-used, ignored, misplaced, misinterpreted, etc... just like any tool. The only 'failure' when it comes to tools...is being too stubborn to even look at it. And usually, we make that mistake because we don't like statistics. It's harder to make excuses. If we have a bad game...we can blame it on our health, or an injury, or the lane conditions, or the pro shop, or the ball manufacturer...we have a PLEOTHERA of excuses. But, if you average 178 because you missed 1/3 of your single-pins...does it really matter "why" you missed 1/3 of them? Was it 'not your fault'?

vdubtx
07-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Yes. And, pray tell, how many DIFFERENT opinions and analysis do you think I will receive?

I'm sure I'll get every piece of advice from "you should try bowling 2-handed" to "You should throw Storm bowling products because they are superior."

I would say you would get 1 opinion from JMerrell on the Certified Coaching board. What have you got to lose?

Aslan
07-05-2016, 06:39 PM
I would say you would get 1 opinion from JMerrell on the Certified Coaching board. What have you got to lose?

Hey, I'm a sponge. I seek out all input. But, to play devil's advocate, there has been a LOT of help here on bowlingboards.com over the years. I'd say the majority of it has been helpful and has advanced my performance. On the flip side....some of it has been utterly useless. Joe Slowinski is a pretty solid coach. I looked into his DYDS methodology. It didn't really help my game...that doesn't make Joe a bad bowler or bad coach. It just wasn't what I needed at that time or at this time.

And again, I'm an advocate of coaching. But I'm also an advocate in statistics and quantitative analysis. I think there is something to be learned from bowling statistics. Will you get better keeping track of your scores? No. Coaching is a much better path to improvement. But to ignore statistics and hope that some random passer-by or internet 'expert' is going to unlock you performance potential...is just as suspect.

It's like golf. Do you keep track of your score when you golf? Do you keep track of putts?

Why not? Isn't it important to know that you shot a 120 and each hole you were at least 3-putting? Doesn't that help you realize maybe a trip to the putting green is a good idea? You'd be surprised how few golfers keep track of their putts. Sometimes they have a good round, sometimes a bad round...and when you ask them what the difference is...it's always some random answer or "it was hot out" or "windy" or the people around them were golfing slow or fast...not ONE time will you hear a thoughtful answer such as:

"Well, I got to the green in 2 on all but 4 holes, so I was driving well and keeping things on the fairway. But with only a couple exceptions, it was a minimum of a 3-putt...which means my iron game wasn't getting me close enough or my putting needs improvement." Because what fun is that? It's like when I get weird looks from people when I bowl and play "lo-ball"...trying to pick off the 7-pin and 10-pin. People don't want to practice spares. That's boring. Just like all the guys on the driving range trying to hit the ball 300 yards. It's more fun than practicing putting.

billf
07-06-2016, 08:02 AM

I played baseball on a baseball field. Played football on a football field and hockey on ice. I also bowl on a bowling lane. But not once was a regular practice at the same pace, intensity, duration or any other conditions that the games were played on. When practicing for baseball during batting practice a coach hits the infield ground balls while the batter is also hitting. Not exactly game conditions. Death crawl in football practice all the time yet I never had to do that during a game. Most people wouldn't bowl a league game using a one step yet that is still one of the most effective drills. Plus it doesn't require oil. So from your posts I take away that your physical game is flawless or at least good enough for you and ball motion is your concern. Not a problem but only if.....you can get a proprietor to put down a pattern. Which is why I made the suggestion I did. With three other bowlers plus yourself contributing an extra $5 each a center manager would have to be nuts not to oil a lane. It's how we got them to do it at our center. Now every Friday half the center gets a sport shot for practice without us paying extra. Why? They saw how many people were coming in on a Friday during the summer and made more from food and drinks than the net sales for entire Fridays in summers past. It is a business and in business money defintely talks.

billf
07-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Get as many QUALIFIED opinions as possible. While every qualified coach may see something different that they feel will improve your game doesn't mean they all are right or wrong. Rate them on what seems to make the most sense to you and try each of them over time. Plus ignore the unqualified crack pots. While most of what coaches see and make recommendations from comes from what they have seen work the majority of the time doesn't mean all of it will work for any one bowler. You mentioned Joe Slowinski and how DYDS isn't for you yet later mentioned correct spine tilt. So obviously a part of his philosphy does work for you. Mark Baker is big on the ball side foot always going in front of the slide foot on the approach. Works for most but not ALL bowlers. Most people see big benefits about alignment and launch angles from knowing their drift and offset yet Mike White has said it's all a crock. That's the frustrating part, because we are all individuals and don't do much alike finding what will and won't work takes time and effort from the bowler AND the coach.

JJKinGA
07-06-2016, 09:02 AM
But, if you average 178 because you missed 1/3 of your single-pins...does it really matter "why" you missed 1/3 of them? Was it 'not your fault'?

This is the flaw in your whole argument. Stats are only useful if they identify why? So if you are wondering why you only average 178 then the stat is useful. but to fix the problem you need to know why you miss 1/3 of the single pin spares. If I just go out and roll at single pin spares for a few weeks without knowing what to fix - I'l bet you that i still miss about 1/3.

remember practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. So you need to practice the fix, not just reinforce the bad habit.

Aslan
07-06-2016, 04:35 PM
But, if you average 178 because you missed 1/3 of your single-pins...does it really matter "why" you missed 1/3 of them? Was it 'not your fault'?

This is the flaw in your whole argument. Stats are only useful if they identify why? So if you are wondering why you only average 178 then the stat is useful. but to fix the problem you need to know why you miss 1/3 of the single pin spares. If I just go out and roll at single pin spares for a few weeks without knowing what to fix - I'l bet you that i still miss about 1/3.

remember practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. So you need to practice the fix, not just reinforce the bad habit.

Well, obviously the stats don't tell you how to fix it. 4-putting every hole doesn't tell you how to fix your putting....but it SHOULD tell you that fixing your putting is something you should devote time to.

But this is a useless discussion on a bowling website because bowling, even more so than golf, is full to the brim with people who bowled a 200-game once and now consider themselves to be experts. So there's always gonna be THAT GUY that sees you tracking stats or actually "practicing" and they are going to laugh at you and claim, "all you gotta do...is throw the ball the way they throw the ball...and you'll be awesome." And trying to convince that person...that they aren't as awesome as they think...nearly impossible.

But yes, my stats lead me to either practice and/or seek out coaching advice on that topic. I was having trouble with single-pin spares...Missy gave my a strategy that she uses...now I'm getting better. Does that mean I don't need to make changes from time to time? Nope. Mark Baker might advocate using my strike ball to 'help' pick up left-side leaves. I may find that targeting the pins helps me keep my alignment through the shot better. Missy constantly sees problems when I'm missing corner spares where I turn one way or the other at the line. HOW I fix the problems will take some time and work and effort. The stats just help me see the problem.

Case in point...did a tournament last weekend. The guy I got paired up with spent virtually every game complaining that "pretty soon I'm gonna be throwing the ball from a lane over!" And all I could think is, "OR...you could learn to throw the ball in a standard bowling fashion...rather than palm it...and rev it up to 350rpms...maybe tone down the revs a little...straighten out the line...get the ball to go "through" the pins...rather than smack into the side of them..." But see...that advice would be like trying to teach a goldfish how to add and subtract. It's pointless. He has fun making the ball spin and go "Weeeeeeee..!!!!" That's his game. That's his fun. And I just ignore him...let him do his thing.

RobLV1
07-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Thank you all for your imput. Please check out my latest article for BTM. I'm not sure of the title yet, but it should be something along the lines of "A Summer Tune-up for your Physical Game." It should be posted in the next few days. Your imput was considered in the writing of this article. Thanks again!

Sche3067
07-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Depends what I want to do but I usually have a few things I like to work on. Sometimes I'll practice step drills, diffrent lines and other days I'll practice spares. I'll even bet money to simulate pressure situations. I like to tape myself as well so I can see what I am doing wrong

Hammer
09-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Because I haven't bowled in a year due to bladder cancer and a left hip replacement I will have to work on everything. Things like my approach, swing, release and spare pickups and also hitting the right target arrow will test me pretty good. I have bowled for 28 years so I do have an idea on how to do these things it is just that I need some good practice to get on the right track. I will just have to be patient and not press the issue.

2handedsniper
09-29-2016, 10:47 PM
home offers cheaper practice then the center. No need to pay for games or commute. Eileen's bowling buddy, footwork, ball grips etc