PDA

View Full Version : Question on releasing the ball for more revs.

Jarhead88
01-29-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm a old bowler getting back into it after decades away.

I'm working on getting more revs to help curve the ball. not that I need to have a wicked hook for my ego but I just want to be able to turn the ball into the pocket without having to throw it so slowly. If I roll it at my normal speed 15-15.5 mph it usually doesn't turn in time and I have to slow down my throw which is hard to repeat. it makes me inconsistent.
I do move around, get to the dry more and it helps but sometimes my release is inconsistent and it doesn't turn enough and the ball doesn't make it to the pocket.

Ok, so my question is what's the best way to increase revs and repeat the release of the ball more consistently.?

I have tried the braces: Robby rev and mongoose... they help me get the feel of keeping my wrist from braking back and releasing the fingers last.

I know there isn't a quick fix but wondering what are some keys I should look for or think about.

thanks

KYDave
01-29-2017, 05:52 PM
There are several ways to go about it. I have been working on my release and revs since this summer when I got back into bowling. I was the old school come around the ball and shake hands
If you are just getting back in, have you had your fit checked lately?

That being said, first and foremost is stay behind the ball and come out clean with as little as grip pressure as possible, which often go hand in hand if your fit is right.

If you are really wanting to increase your revs, this is what I have been working on. It breaks it down into steps and is easy to follow even tho it is in Japanese. It is the only release that has noticeable increased my revs. So much so, that I have trouble staying on the right side of the headpin. I need to learn to increase my speed if I want to use this release.

As of lately, I have been using a slightly modified version of this release and is working well for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_YeYjbyJu8

Jarhead88
01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
I did get a couple of bowling balls this summer as the pro laughed at my Ebonite Nitro from the eighties...lol

so I am fit correctly. I did watch the video, very interesting, lots of wrist snap. I will try it out tomorrow. let you know.
thanks

J Anderson
01-29-2017, 09:56 PM
A couple of suggestions:
I think there are some very good coaches in Long Island. A little guidance can really shorten the learning curve.

To paraphrase Mark Baker, when you fix the foot work, swing, and especially the timing, the release almost fixes itself.

I hope your pro watch you bowl before selling you new balls. If he didn't watch and figure out your PAP you may be fighting your equipment trying to get it to hook.

bowl1820
01-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Getting a good coach is the best way to get back into bowling, especially if you've been out a while.

Here's a video though to give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZ-r5yZYfQ

NewToBowling
01-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Listen to Norm Duke. He knows it all

Jarhead88
01-30-2017, 03:00 PM
great, thanks all. just frustrating not to be able to time that release and get the revs.

I do have a pro that is really good, I just never get to see him. He has been a big help.

I'm working on it, keep you posted.

Hammer
02-11-2017, 02:43 PM
I did get a couple of bowling balls this summer as the pro laughed at my Ebonite Nitro from the eighties...lol

so I am fit correctly. I did watch the video, very interesting, lots of wrist snap. I will try it out tomorrow. let you know.
thanks

When you stay behind the ball at the release you thumb will fly out first and then the weight of the ball will uncup your hand and the ball will pull off of your fingertips creating the revs without having to physically snap your wrist hard. I just turned 70 and use this kind of release. It is not as hard to get used to as you might think. It took me only a short time to trust it. At first you might feel as if you are dropping the ball. This is normal but don't worry about it. Good luck.

Blomer
02-12-2017, 07:48 AM
I threw a about the same speed as you and don't have an issue. There's a guy on my team who rolls it a lot faster and barely gets any hook. What type of ball all you using? Do you need to bake it to get the oil out? Perhaps the ball is dead. Perhaps the ball is plastic if and not made to hook. How are theninserts if you are using any? Worn out? All in all, most likely your release delivery. Or is it not getting out of the oil? Have a video?

Jarhead88
02-15-2017, 03:50 PM
I threw a about the same speed as you and don't have an issue. There's a guy on my team who rolls it a lot faster and barely gets any hook. What type of ball all you using? Do you need to bake it to get the oil out? Perhaps the ball is dead. Perhaps the ball is plastic if and not made to hook. How are theninserts if you are using any? Worn out? All in all, most likely your release delivery. Or is it not getting out of the oil? Have a video?

The new balls are: first got the HyWire, rotogrip... then the Storm Snaplock..... don't get me wrong, it hooks if I do it right and dont put too much speed on it. I clean the balls everytime and have taken the oil out.

What about using a aid. I have been using the Mongoose brace. seems to help but I really would like to bowl without one...

KYDave
02-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Sounds like maybe a combo of speed dominating revs or release or both.

Where do you most often play the ball and what volume/length of oil?

Lots of different opinions on braces. My opinion is if you throw with the brace and it feels completely different than without, you need one. Once you can get yourself trained on wrist position and what it feels like then you can consider bowling without it. I do know several people who have always bowled with a brace and don't like the feeling of bowling without it. It's up to you to determine what you are most comfortable with.

Jarhead88
02-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Sounds like maybe a combo of speed dominating revs or release or both.

Where do you most often play the ball and what volume/length of oil?

Lots of different opinions on braces. My opinion is if you throw with the brace and it feels completely different than without, you need one. Once you can get yourself trained on wrist position and what it feels like then you can consider bowling without it. I do know several people who have always bowled with a brace and don't like the feeling of bowling without it. It's up to you to determine what you are most comfortable with.

My starting position is at the second set of dots, middle, and I have my right foot on the middle dot. (that is my starting spot, I adjust depending on lane conditions)
I throw at or inside the second arrow, 8-10 board. It usually is heading to the 6 pin and then turns into the pocket....(IF I have the speed and release right)

the lanes are usually medium oil.

I feel better/more consistant with the brace and definitely see the revs more consistent. but with it I will never be able to do that release of the wrist I see pros talk about. Like Norm Duke mentioned in that previous video.

J Anderson
02-16-2017, 12:28 AM
My starting position is at the second set of dots, middle, and I have my right foot on the middle dot. (that is my starting spot, I adjust depending on lane conditions)
I throw at or inside the second arrow, 8-10 board. It usually is heading to the 6 pin and then turns into the pocket....(IF I have the speed and release right)

the lanes are usually medium oil.

I feel better/more consistant with the brace and definitely see the revs more consistent. but with it I will never be able to do that release of the wrist I see pros talk about. Like Norm Duke mentioned in that previous video.

Are you right or left handed?

I ask because if you use your slide foot as your reference for which board to start from, it's easy to keep track of any drifting during your approach. This is something that's good to check from time to time, especially when you have to play further inside than normal, as we often drift back toward our original line after making a big move, or a lot of small moves. That said, the most important thing is to be consistant in how you gauge your starting point.

Jarhead88
02-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Are you right or left handed?

I ask because if you use your slide foot as your reference for which board to start from, it's easy to keep track of any drifting during your approach. This is something that's good to check from time to time, especially when you have to play further inside than normal, as we often drift back toward our original line after making a big move, or a lot of small moves. That said, the most important thing is to be consistant in how you gauge your starting point.

I am right handed. I do walk up the lane, video I have taken shows that is ok.
just not sure about the "yoyo" thing Norm Duke talks about. If I wear the brace my wrist is firm and the rotation is more consistent. when I take the brace off I seem to loose my wrist, bends back.. not a good release.

J Anderson
02-17-2017, 09:53 AM
I am right handed. I do walk up the lane, video I have taken shows that is ok.
just not sure about the "yoyo" thing Norm Duke talks about. If I wear the brace my wrist is firm and the rotation is more consistent. when I take the brace off I seem to loose my wrist, bends back.. not a good release.

The old style release was so dependent on keeping a firm wrist that you almost had to focus on keeping straight or cupped for the entire swing. The "modern" release is dependent on letting the ball roll off the fingers as the wrist goes from some degree of being cupped to bending backwards. Looking at videos of Mike Fagan, it's apparent that it almost doesn't matter what the wrist does from push-away to the top of the backswing. At the that point, meaning the top of the back swing, it takes virtually no strength to cup the wrist since gravity is helping pull the ball down. Then it's the simple matter of un-cupping and releasing at the right point. Note; I said simple, not easy.

The first thread below you've probably seen, but it does give good slow motion views of what happens at release. The second gives more emphasis on how to actually develop it.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/9529-Analysis-of-the-modern-10-Pin-Bowling-Swing-and-Release-1

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/20542-Eileen-s-Bowling-Buddy-Skills-Training-Series-parts-1-2-3

chip82901
02-17-2017, 11:12 AM
I definitely don't have an issue with rev rate (2 hander), but I've actually DECREASED my rev rate to get more accuracy over the last few years. But, when I went to a clinic this past year with Wes Mallott and Randy Peterson, the one thing they said, is watch the unloading at the bottom of the swing. Look at a slow mo of someone like EJ Tackett. All of his power is generated from the legs, and unleashed through his hand. It made sense when I watched it in slow motion. You can physically see the cupping and unloading out of the back swing through the release.