PDA

View Full Version : Powerhouse ball cleaner

The German Shepherd
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Do any of you folks use Powerhouse Foaming ball cleaner? What is your opinion of it? What do you use?

The reason for asking is that I have been using HOOK IT for the past few months and I am noticing that even after I clean it all off the ball, there is residue left. This residue comes up if I wipe the ball down with rubbing alcohol afer using the HOOK IT. Also, what advantage is there to using higher isopropyl content alcohol? For example, I see some guys in my league use 50% or 70% isoproply. Mine is 91% isopropyl. What difference does the isopropyl content make??? Any chemists out there??

Jay

GeorgiaStroker
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
isopropyl is the type of alcohol it is, versus say denatured or grain alcohol. The percentage indicates the amount of alcohol to water. 70 percent isopropyl alcohol is 30 percent water, 91 percent isopropyl alcohol is 9 percent water.

bowl1820
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Do any of you folks use Powerhouse Foaming ball cleaner? What is your opinion of it? What do you use?

The reason for asking is that I have been using HOOK IT for the past few months and I am noticing that even after I clean it all off the ball, there is residue left. This residue comes up if I wipe the ball down with rubbing alcohol afer using the HOOK IT. Also, what advantage is there to using higher isopropyl content alcohol? For example, I see some guys in my league use 50% or 70% isoproply. Mine is 91% isopropyl. What difference does the isopropyl content make??? Any chemists out there??

Jay

We tried the foam here when it came out, nobody was impressed and it cost too much.

I've used Hook-it for years, I've never seen Hook-it leave a residue. It's possible it's a bad batch or got contaminated some how. Might try a new bottle. It's possible too that the residue is oil leaching up out of the pores.

As far as alcohol the main thing is the higher the percentage, the faster it will evaporate off the ball. I wouldn't go lower than 70% , 70% & 91% are okay I've used both, I like 91% for doing a mix (like with simple green). 99% evaporates too fast.

The German Shepherd
06-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Okay, so it would seem to me, from what I have read in the above posts, that a higher ISO is best. It is interesting that you have never found a residue after using HOOK IT. Have you ever done a treatment with it and followed it up with ISO? As for me, when I have done so, the residue that comes up is red/pink in color and is certainly not lane oil. I have been highly fastidious in making sure to follow the HOOK IT directions and remove ALL of the cleaner after every application. I will try another bottle of it and see what happens.

Also, you use a Simple Green solution? What is your ratio in your mixture? In other words, how much Simple Green to water to ISO do you use? Also, do you use this in place of HOOK IT or do you use it in conjunction with it?

Jay

We tried the foam here when it came out, nobody was impressed and it cost too much.

I've used Hook-it for years, I've never seen Hook-it leave a residue. It's possible it's a bad batch or got contaminated some how. Might try a new bottle. It's possible too that the residue is oil leaching up out of the pores.

As far as alcohol the main thing is the higher the percentage, the faster it will evaporate off the ball. I wouldn't go lower than 70% , 70% & 91% are okay I've used both, I like 91% for doing a mix (like with simple green). 99% evaporates too fast.

bowl1820
06-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Okat, so it would seem to me, from what I have read in the above posts, that a higher ISO is best. It is interesting that you have never found a residue after using HOOK IT. Have you ever done a treatment with it and followed it up with ISO? As for me, when I have done so, the residue that comes up is red/pink in color and is certainly not lane oil. I have been highly fastidious in making sure to follow the HOOK IT directions and remove ALL of the cleaner after every application. I will try another bottle of it and see what happens.

Also, you use a Simple Green solution? What is your ratio in your mixture? In other words, how much Simple Green to water to ISO do you use? Also, do you use this in place of HOOK IT or do you use it in conjunction with it?

Jay

As for Hook-it, no I've never had to follow it with alcohol. I've used it since the org. formula (That stuff dissolved a guys vinyl floor, that's why they say don't get it on the inserts.) It's not leaving a residue was one of the reasons I liked it, that and the fact it cleaned stuff off that others wouldn't and left a super tacky surface.

After wiping it off I rub my fingers across the ball and you can hear it squeak.

Heres from a test I did of Hook-it
http://www.bowlingtracker.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4&stc=1&d=1172888535

As for the Simple Green mix that's a common DIY ball cleaner, go to any bowling forum and they know it and a lot bowler's swear by it.The most common mixing ratio is 50/50, half Simple Green and Half Alcohol or Water. There are also mixes of all three in equal amounts.

I don't use it myself, I just tried it everyone was talking about it so I gave it a try. (I've tried about every cleaner I could get my hands on over the years.) It's a okay cleaner better than nothing. But it's not in the league of cleaners like Hook-it

I carried Hook-it in my bag all the time, the only reason I don't have one right now is I got some Tac-up to try and haven't used it all yet.

The best ones I've tried are Clean'N Dull and Hook-it, Tac-Up and Reacta Clean are good ones.

GeorgiaStroker
06-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I've got some Monster Tac on the way from Bowlingball.com. Anybody tried it yet?

got_a_300
06-26-2012, 02:37 AM
I've got some Monster Tac on the way from Bowlingball.com. Anybody tried it yet?
Yes I'm trying some Monster Tac out at the moment it does a pretty decent job
but there are better cleaners out there like Brunswick Remove All Ball Cleaner and
Clean'N Dull and Hook-it also the Tac-Up and Reacta Clean cleaners are really good
ones also that does a better job of getting the oil out of and off of the ball.

eugene02
06-26-2012, 04:24 AM
i'm using powerhouse energizer ball cleaner.. any comments on this?

bowl1820
06-26-2012, 08:04 AM
i'm using powerhouse energizer ball cleaner.. any comments on this?
It's a basic citrus cleaner, it cleans the surface some what. But doesn't penetrate the pores well.

http://www.bowlingtracker.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3&stc=1&d=1172680071

eugene02
06-26-2012, 08:20 AM
so clean and dull would be a better option?

bowl1820
06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
so clean and dull would be a better option?

Clean'N Dull is a great cleaner but is not really suited for use at the lanes. You what something like Tac-up, Monster Tac, Reacta clean etc. Energizer is okay , there's just stronger ones out there.

Also a Hook-it's status has recently changed on the USBC appproved list, it can now only be used before or after bowling not during.

Hampe
06-26-2012, 08:53 AM
I use Bowl Plus SP101 Ball Cleaner.....it's not very common but it does a very good job cleaning the ball. I tried the cleaner Kegel has and it totally sucked in comparison.

bowl1820
06-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I use Bowl Plus SP101 Ball Cleaner.....it's not very common but it does a very good job cleaning the ball. I tried the cleaner Kegel has and it totally sucked in comparison.

You talking about Kegel Revive? I tried it also, I agree I wouldn't recommend it. The worst thing about it is that it takes the hook off the ball.

They tell you that in a cryptic way in the ad. when they say "It reduces surface energy"

Hampe
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Yea, the one in a purple spray bottle. I tried it twice I think because I was looking for a cheaper option other than the SP101 (15$ a bottle), but my towel didnt have any dirt on it after wiping the ball....you could also still kinda see the oil tracks on the ball. The SP101 leaves a very visible dirt spot on my towel and the ball looks like new (except for the nicks and scratches). I dumped out the Kegel stuff and put the SP101 in the spray bottle (since I prefer the spray to the open-top bottle).

The German Shepherd
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Clean'N Dull is a great cleaner but is not really suited for use at the lanes. You what something like Tac-up, Monster Tac, Reacta clean etc. Energizer is okay , there's just stronger ones out there.

Also a Hook-it's status has recently changed on the USBC appproved list, it can now only be used before or after bowling not during.

Sometimes I need to remove belt marks while bowling. What cleaners are legal and effective for this? Is Iso alcohol llegal for this?

Jay

The German Shepherd
06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
I guess what I would really like to see is some sort of a side by side comparison of many different cleaners so that we could see, in an objective manner, which cleaners work best and for whaich purpose...Anybody wanna take that idea on as a project??? ;)

Jay

bowl1820
06-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Sometimes I need to remove belt marks while bowling. What cleaners are legal and effective for this? Is Iso alcohol llegal for this?

Jay

Yes you can use ISO alcohol anytime.
The best for anytime on the list is Tac-up, Reacta-clean, Motiv's Power Gel Clean, Valentino Bowling Remedy RX.

There is also bowlingball.com/pyramids Monster Tac it's not on the list yet, but they say it's USBC Approved For Use Before, During or After League Play
http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/bowlingball-com-monster-tac-bowling-ball-cleaner

Here's a link to the approved cleaners list.
Click here for USBC Acceptable/Non-Acceptable Ball Cleaners/Polishes List (http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/usbcongress/bowl/equipandspecs/pdfs/Combined%20cleaner_polish.pdf)

bowl1820
06-26-2012, 10:44 AM
I guess what I would really like to see is some sort of a side by side comparison of many different cleaners so that we could see, in an objective manner, which cleaners work best and for whaich purpose...Anybody wanna take that idea on as a project??? ;)

Jay

Here's some I did a while back, some info might be dated now.
Ball Cleaner Showdown #1 Energizer vs Clean-N'Dull (http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/4392-Ball-Cleaner-Showdown-1-Energizer-vs-Clean-N-Dull?highlight=showdown)

Ball Cleaner Showdown #2 Hook-It (http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/4391-Ball-Cleaner-Showdown-2-Hook-It?highlight=showdown)

Ball Cleaner Showdown #3 Kegel Revive (http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/4390-Ball-Cleaner-Showdown-3-Kegel-Revive?highlight=showdown)

eugene02
06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
so i guess clean and dull would be better thn the energizer?

The German Shepherd
06-26-2012, 11:54 AM
From the looks of things, Clean N' Dull is a better deep cleaner.

Jay

bowl1820
06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
so i guess clean and dull would be better thn the energizer?

Yes C'N D is a better cleaner than Energizer, but if you wanting a cleaner to use at the lanes. There are others that would be more appropriate, like the spray cleaners such as Tac-up or Monster Tac etc.

From the looks of things, Clean N' Dull is a better deep cleaner.

Jay

Correct it is a good deep cleaner! I use it on my spinner depending on how many games I've bowled or if I've been bowling on a lot of oil.

That's why I like Hook-it also it and C'ND are one of the few that make the claim about drawing out oil and really do it.

MICHAEL
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Using a spinner, (and I know this is a very general question), what 3 BEST bottles of cleaner/polish ect would you recomend? I assume, and could be wrong, but doing a ball by hand, vs the speed, and heat generated by spinner can make a differance?? Another question: I have a bottle of Clean n dull by power house. Can it be used with a spinner, and if so, any different suggestions in regards to application?

abishai
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I've used Clean n Dull and it's worked out great. Need to checkout one of the spray on cleaners next time I order some equipment.

bowl1820
06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Using a spinner, (and I know this is a very general question), what 3 BEST bottles of cleaner/polish ect would you recommend?
That's a impossible question to answer, everyone will have a different opinion.
But Clean'N Dull, Brunswick Ruff Buff, Powerhouse Factory finish. Those would cover you in most areas.

I assume, and could be wrong, but doing a ball by hand, vs the speed, and heat generated by spinner can make a difference??
Sure it can make a difference. Depending on what polish your using, you can "burn" it in (Applying extra pressure to generate heat) to produce a high shine like on a spare ball.

Another question: I have a bottle of Clean n dull by power house. Can it be used with a spinner, and if so, any different suggestions in regards to application?
Clean'N Dull is at it's best on a spinner! It doesn't take much, I put some on a rag and rub it around the ball surface. Then turn on the spinner and work it in for 30 seconds or so. Then rinse it off with water and dry it with a clean towel.

TheSheibs
06-28-2012, 12:29 AM
It's a basic citrus cleaner, it cleans the surface some what. But doesn't penetrate the pores well.

http://www.bowlingtracker.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3&stc=1&d=1172680071

I'm kind of surprised to see oil tracks left on the ball. Usually those go away just from wiping the ball with a towel. Must have been a hell of a lot of oil on the lane when you threw that ball to leave a track like that. I'm assuming you wipe your ball regularly before, during, and after. That is why I'm surprised to see them that predominant. Found the following description for the energizer cleaner:

Approved for use during ABC/WIBC competition
- Revives natural tack to ball surface for ultimate lane-gripping power
- Biodegradable, citrus-based, strong degreasing formula
- Removes lane oil, dirt, belt marks, even tape residue
- Fast drying
- For use on all Reactive Resin and particle technology coverstocks

The line that is in "bold" is that way because I wanted to comment on that specific line. In my experience, 10 years in the Coast Guard which involved cleaning some nasty things, I have found that anything listed as "biodegradable" and "citrus-based" tend to be pretty weak. Especially when it come to anything like grease or oil. This might work great on a ball like I have that has a hybrid cover but for a reactive resin, it might not be strong enough due to the chemicals used that make it "biodegradable". So the last line in this discription is clearly inaccurate since it clearly left oil tracks on the ball pictured and did not remove the oil. It's nice to see a picture that shows two different products side by side like that.

bowl1820
06-28-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm kind of surprised to see oil tracks left on the ball. Usually those go away just from wiping the ball with a towel. Must have been a hell of a lot of oil on the lane when you threw that ball to leave a track like that. I'm assuming you wipe your ball regularly before, during, and after. That is why I'm surprised to see them that predominant. Found the following description for the energizer cleaner:

Those oil lines are not on the surface, it's oil that's in the pores that's why the cleaner didn't remove them. It just removed stuff on the surface. The oil wasn't that heavy just a THS.

You think seeing those lines are something look at this.

This is from a old post I made.
This is photo of the oil absorbed into the track area on a balling ball.
I used a blacklight and set the camera to night scene and 400 iso.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingxtras/blklight_oiltrack.jpg

Heres the same ball after cleaning with Clean N' Dull (Which I always recommend for deep cleaning the coverstock).
The glow from the track area has been reduced greatly ( I'm estimating by about 50%) and the non track areas are basically clear.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingxtras/blklight_oiltrack_cln.jpg

The German Shepherd
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
^^^^those are some great pictures. They really say a lot. Nowmy question is, how effective do you think those little oil extractor ovens are that you find in some bowling pro-shops?

Jay

bowl1820
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
If your ball is oil soaked they will get majority of the oil out.

billf
06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Strolling the net the other night I found on Morich's website that they said the oven should not be set any higher than 130 degrees. I was happy to finally see a manufacturer give a specification. They also mentioned it was safer and easier to just have the pro shop do it.

got_a_300
06-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Mixed myself up a batch of 70% Isoproply Alcohol and some Simple Green
I did a mix of 50/50 and tried it out last night after league and it seemed to
do a pretty good job of getting the oil and marks off of the ball not sure how
deep it will clean though. :confused:

The German Shepherd
06-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I tried some Motiv Power Gel SCUFF tonight. It easily removed any belt marks and left no oil marks of any kind on the ball. Of course, I used the cleaner on dull bowling balls. Both balls I used it on came out looking and acting like new. Think I am going to like this stuff.

J.