Page 129 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 2256

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Congrats on a nice series Aslan.
    Thanks.

And I have to say...Mike's post below is a pretty good and straight forward look at exactly what the ball does in relation to the oil patterns.

And that's why I'm worried about my next arsenal...

If I go with:
    Defiant Edge (2.49 RG, Pearl, 1500 Polished)
    900Global Bullet Train (2.553 RG, Hybrid, 2500 Polished)
    Track 300A (2.57 RG, Pearl, 4000 Polished)

The Defiant Edge is going to rev up early...but it's surface will counter that and delay the hook phase. So one thing is trying to go early...the other late.

The Bullet Train has a very aggressive cover....and I'd have to really surface and polish it (not by hand) to delay the hook...which the higher RG will match up with.

The Track300A is virtually a plastic ball...a low-level, basic cover, a high RG...so it'll give me a great deal of length and the ability to play drier or beat up patterns...or shorter patterns...but I don't see it having much "snap" with my current speed/release.

And my concerns are that one of the two things below happens:

A) The Bullet Train cover is too strong...even surfaced and polished...so it essentially is like my Lethal Revolver...where I can't use it anywhere near the track...it'll either hook too much or have no energy left at the pocket. I end up using the Defiant Edge as my starting ball...but despite the weaker cover and polished surface...the RG revs up too soon...and again...no energy left at the pocket.....similar to the problems I have with the Melee Jab and Dark Encounter. Then I end up just using the 300A...which is a very weak ball...so I'm essentially downgrading from the Loaded Revolver to the 300A.

or

B) I start with the Defiant Edge...but, like the Dark Encounter and Jab...a THS just isn't long/wide enough...so it wants to hook too early...and reacts too drastically when it's out in the dry. So I end up using the Bullet Train...which I have to keep getting polished every 1-3 weeks....because otherwise it'll hook even sooner than the Defiant Edge. And, as above, I end up using primarily the 300A....and same as above...I'm just downgrading from the Loaded Revolver to the 300A.

Now, to look for a "positive silver lining" scenario...:

There IS a possibility...that I could start with the Bullet Train, ball down to the 300A, then use the Defiant Edge the way I used the Jab (before giving it away)...relying on there to be enough "carry-down" by Game 3 that the Defiant Edge won't over-react too soon. This scenario actually might work well....but it relies on the controversial theory of "carry-down"....which is realistically only there...if I'm on a team and/or bowling against right-handers that throw plastic or urethane at/towards the break point. If everyone is throwing resin...and soaking up the oil (versus pushing it down lane)....this theory falls apart.

In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 176; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

The Bullet Train is already drilled have you tried it out recently since you've lowered your speed? Rather then fret yourself to death and polish every ball you own it may be time to commit to moving in a bit. Not saying to start hooking the lane but start learning to play 12-14 instead of 10-12. If your going to throw the ball like a tweener your going to have to learn to stand where tweeners throw from and quit trying to make the balls allow you to play the track.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

The Bullet Train is already drilled have you tried it out recently since you've lowered your speed?
    No. I tried on Sunday...but I took it with me to the center at like 6PM and they said they wouldn't have an open lane until like 9:30PM so I went home. But I might try again tonight...just throw a couple games with it and see what it does. It's 16lbs versus my current 15lb arsenal...so I don't like intermingling the two on league night.

Rather then fret yourself to death and polish every ball you own it may be time to commit to moving in a bit. Not saying to start hooking the lane but start learning to play 12-14 instead of 10-12. If your going to throw the ball like a tweener your going to have to learn to stand where tweeners throw from and quit trying to make the balls allow you to play the track.
    That's a valid point. My coach echoes that point. It's now part of my practice regiment to try and play one game inside for that very reason.

But moving inside is a double-edged sword. Most Pba bowlers have a "limit" to the angle they can play. That's why you still see the majority of them targeting 1-19. For me to get "too far" inside...I'll need to upgrade from stroker-tweener to cranker-thumbless.

Right now, my "limit" is about 15 (target) and 24 (feet). I can move further inside...but I'd need to drastically improve my rev rate and/or drastically lower my speed.

I figure an elite bowler needs 3 speeds, 3 lines, and 3 hand positions. I have 1.5 hand positions, 1.5 lines, and 1.5 speeds. So, I still need a LOT of work to really open up the lanes and be successful. And I say "and a half" because the hand positions aren't consistent, my ability to play the outside line...1-3 boards is still hit or miss...and while I can go from a 14-17mph speed to a 15-21mph speed...my form/timing/balance suffers at the higher speed.
    Last edited by Aslan; 03-22-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    No. I tried on Sunday...but I took it with me to the center at like 6PM and they said they wouldn't have an open lane until like 9:30PM so I went home. But I might try again tonight...just throw a couple games with it and see what it does. It's 16lbs versus my current 15lb arsenal...so I don't like intermingling the two on league night.

That's a valid point. My coach echoes that point. It's now part of my practice regiment to try and play one game inside for that very reason.

But moving inside is a double-edged sword. Most Pba bowlers have a "limit" to the angle they can play. That's why you still see the majority of them targeting 1-19. For me to get "too far" inside...I'll need to upgrade from stroker-tweener to cranker-thumbless.

Right now, my "limit" is about 15 (target) and 24 (feet). I can move further inside...but I'd need to drastically improve my rev rate and/or drastically lower my speed.

I figure an elite bowler needs 3 speeds, 3 lines, and 3 hand positions. I have 1.5 hand positions, 1.5 lines, and 1.5 speeds. So, I still need a LOT of work to really open up the lanes and be successful. And I say "and a half" because the hand positions aren't consistent, my ability to play the outside line...1-3 boards is still hit or miss...and while I can go from a 14-17mph speed to a 15-21mph speed...my form/timing/balance suffers at the higher speed.
    As you get more comfortable with that inside line you will have begin to have more success with it. I rarely move right of 16-17 but can go to 20 but I'm not real comfortable there. I try to keep it between 10-15 most nights. Unless you have guys throwing sandpaper you really shouldn't have burning up issues with any of your balls on a freshly oiled THS if you can throw the ball over 15 comfortably.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I wish I was a morning person.

I wanted to practice yesterday morning and this morning...just can't seem to get myself out of bed.

I have tomorrow off...definitely will be practicing. I really want to bust out the ole Bullet Train and see what it looks like. I'm sure my doctor would be unhappy about me going back to 16lb equipment...but I have too many 16lb balls undrilled...I need to start using some of them...if it hurts my game...then I'll go back to 15lbs...but I think the difference for me is marginal.

Afternoon Practice:
    Monday Bowling Center: Older Brunswick Synthetics

Got out of work early pre-holiday...decided to see how the Bullet Train behaves with my new lower speed.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.45 pins
    Strikes: 31% (1 double and 5 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (4/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin and 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5-8 and 1-2-8 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 173.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 183.00.

Took most of Game 1 to figure out the line. Friggin lanes were burnt up pretty bad. Kinda messed up when your plastic ball hooks being thrown at a 10-pin. I also think these balls have a slightly different span...a little shorter....made the thumb slide out more.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

AM Practice:

Off for Good Friday; figured I'd throw the rock around a bit.

499 Series: 179-168-152

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.47 pins
    Strikes: 26% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 72% (8/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 3-pin and 9-pin (3x each)
    Never left a single 5-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 53% (7/13)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2, 4-7, and 6-10 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 166.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 177.00.

It's just really frustrating that in order to practice on league conditions; I have to practice during league play or enter a tournament or something...any other time it's just burnt up nonsense. I don't have the shot nor rev rate to be standing 31-34 and targeting 12-20.

First game I just used the Dark Encounter...tried to get back in the groove with my 15lb equipment and different span. Game 2 I switched to the Loaded Revolver midway through. Midway through Game 3 I was totally out of options and tried to increase speed and use the Lethal Revolver...but switching speeds is tough...timing got all out of whack.

Saturday Weekly Color-Pin Tournament:

464 Series: 154-168-142

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.52 pins
    Strikes: 25% (2 doubles and 4 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 72% (8/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 27% (3/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1).

Average over 3 games: 154.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 165.33.

Not sure what was going on. Seemed like maybe they didn't oil the leagues pre-tournament. But it also could be that me and the two other RH strokers were all playing on top of each other's lines. On the left lane, by the end of the night I was standing with my left toe on 32-33 targeting 20-21 at the arrows...definitely inside my comfortable line/zone.

Score doesn't show it, but I actually started settling down and throwing better shots in Game 3. Just had some thumb fit issues that caused me some intermittent problems.

Easter Holiday Practice:

542 Series: 196-208 (clean)-138

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.06 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (9/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 3-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 (3x)

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 3 games: 180.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.33.

I was bored. Was planning on golfing...but couldn't get a morning tee time. I should've just stayed home...I'm just so sick and tired of houses not oiling their lanes except for league play. I had to try and ignore that...just focus on improving my physical game...because there's nothing I can do about the conditions. But again...just like Saturday morning....when I'm standing left of 30...aiming around center arrow...it's kind've a joke.

Looks like my scores last night. 2 semi good games and one turd. Sometimes I think there is no inconceivable way I should bowl anything under 150 and I go out and prove myself wrong.

Page 129 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast