Page 184 of 225 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2245

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Nice night!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Nice observation of your own game and one of the exact same things I tell some of my team mates when they are struggling a bit. Get back to basics, let the ball do the work for you and just let your arm naturally swing. When you force things, it never turns out the way it is wanted to.
    Not to mention, that's what 4 out of 4 of my coaches have said as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Nice night!
    Yeah...if only I could keep the momentum going...

Thursday Men's League: medium-oil synthetics

515 Series: 133-203-179

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.97 pins
    Strikes: 36%
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (9/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 22% (2/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-5 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 171.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 183.33.

Game 1 I really struggled to find my line. I don't know if I started too far inside...not inside enough...or with the wrong ball...or a combination of the aforementioned...but I was hitting light shot after shot. 7-pin, 4-7, pocket 7-10, weak strike, 2-5, 1-2-4-10 washout, 2-8, the 2 strikes before finishing with a single 4-pin. I thought about switching balls after the first few frames...but didn't want to jump to that conclusion. I probably should have moved 1:2 right...but I guess I thought it was a "burning out" issue so I moved a little inside and tried to get the ball out a little further on the lane. When you only have enough practice time to take 3 friggin shots...and you waste 1-3 of them just getting your feet under ya...Game 1 becomes a learning exercise.

After another pocket hit leaving a 10-pin in frame 1...I decided enough was enough and balled down to the Warning Sign. I doubled down on my "burning out" theory by also moving slightly more inside with my target and my feet. After a couple strikes, it was back to the same problem...pocket 7-pin leave...4-pin...pocket 8-10, etc... I finally determined I might be dealing with (RobM cover your eyes) 'carrydown'...so I switched to the Scandal Pearl and struck out in the 9th/10th to salvage a 200+ game.

I went into Game 3 thinking, "Okay...problem solved." But...NOPE. 2-4-5, 2-5-8, 10-pin, 2-5, 6-pin, 7-pin, 10-pin, etc... Almost all of those were pocket hits.

So... I don't know. Spare shooting was awful early, but I rebounded a bit in Games 2 and 3. I felt my timing was okay...not back to where it should be...but okay. I think I just started out too far inside...shoulda made a move right to start...but didn't. And each time I hit weak...I thought it was the ball burning up...when it probably was the ball not making a full turn into the pins.
    Last edited by Aslan; 02-22-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Thursday Men's League: low-oil synthetics

491 Series: 144-179-168

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.35 pins
    Strikes: 32%
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin and 7-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (6/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 and 5-9 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 163.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 167.67.

Game 1 was an embarrassment. Never figured out my line...one strike...4 opens, including a 4-6 split in the 10th.

Game 2 was an embarrassment. I managed a couple doubles...but opened 3 times, including a wonderful missed 7-pin in the 10th.

Game 3 felt like my best game. Only two opens...and one was a 4-6-7 split. It was the only point I managed to win.

I dunno. If this continues...the "Era of Aslan" is about to go the way of the Do-Do bird (and Iceman). That's right...extinction. I mean, what's the point? I should be averaging 180-200...and I'm barely averaging 177.

And this is NOT a difficult house!! When I was trying to select what house to bowl leagues at back in 2017, I bowled 51 games at this house and averaged 181. My first ball average was 8.78 and my single-pin shooting % was 70%. Now I'm struggling to hit a 177 average, I have a first ball average of 8.74, and my single-pin spare shooting % is 65%. And that may not seem significant...but this league has bowlers averaging in the 180-235 range...only a handful of whom are professionals. I keep watching guys throw with crappy technique and form...and they're averaging in the 190s.

Without coaching, without time to practice, and with my game somehow having devolved greatly during my 9-month break from bowling...I might as well just bowl a couple "fun leagues" around where I live and retire from men's leagues. My timing is OFF...as in AWFUL. I keep missing left, my timing is obviously late, and I can't figure out how to fix it. I'd like to have my daughter video tape me and compare the video to Mark Baker's "The System" DVD that I have...but weeknights all the centers are full with leagues and on weekends any place near me is only like 10 lane centers full of little kids birthday parties...so good luck getting a lane with two lanes vacant to the right for the camera person to stand.

I try to maintain my sportsmanship...I really, really do. But, I admit...I kicked my bowling bag pretty damn hard after Game 1. It was not my proudest moment...but the frustration is just testing my limits.

In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Thursday Men's League: THS

559 Series: 158-203-198

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.97 pins
    Strikes: 43%
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 44% (4/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-10 split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 186.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 193.33.

My game 1 struggles continued. Another problem getting lined up. I would hit weak and leave 7-pins....then move a little left and leave 2-pin or 4-pin spare combos. Then I'd move back left and leave corner pins again. And, of course, it doesn't help when you shoot 50% at corner pins.

After trying everything and anything to figure my line out in Game 1, I decided maybe a ball change was in order. Managed to start making some better shots and strike when I hit the pocket. Seemed like every 3rd shot was just a 'bad shot'...but at least I was lined up properly. Almost had my first clean game (in a LONG time)...but a shot wide right lead to a 1-2-5-10 washout that I couldn't pick up.

Game 3 started out with a 4-bagger...but then started making some bad shots...and by the time I started making better shots...the line had broken down.

Still some options to maybe right the ship.

1) The ball spinner is still out of commission. I think I'd be doing a little better if I could tweak the surfaces on the balls. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on a part and the letter I sent over a week ago has yet to be answered.

2) Despite lack of a coach, I might be able to use Mark Baker's DVD to get better and correct some problems.

518 Series: 180-177-161

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.72 pins
    Strikes: 37%
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin and 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 54% (6/11)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 172.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 180.00.

I seemed lined up better last night....but had trouble on on the right lane. Had a Dutch 200 going until the 9th frame when I missed way right. Had I struck, it would have been a "Dutch 198" since I didn't strike on the last ball (4-9 split).

I started striking on that right lane in Game 2, but the left lane had transitioned too much to keep throwing the Thug Life. After a pocket 10-pin (that I missed) in the 4th, I figured it was time to break out the Warning Sign...which did well for me the week prior. Unfortunately...it was missing WAY right...so I had to adjust a bit and move right (which I don't normally do). Put a turkey together near the end of the game...but the 3 opens (two of which were on pocket hits) earlier in the game just killed me.

Game 3 I lost carry and my thumb started sticking. Waited a little too long to move up a size in the IT grips. Pulled too many shots. And...BAD spare shooting...a missed 4-pin in the 1st frame, a missed 6-10 in the 7th frame...and then a chopped 6-10 in the 10th...gotta get better at my spare shooting.

I took a look at some stats as I started thinking about what I may/may not do for summer league...and what goals I want to set for myself. A TELLING stat is that while my strike rate is down about 7% from what it was in Anaheim...it's actually UP 2% from what it was in Anaheim Hills. But, when you look at the spare shooting...that's where you see the problem.

Overall spare shooting is down 7-10% and opens are UP 6-8%. While the multi-pin spare pick-up rate is close (44% vs. 48-52%)...the single-pin spare pick-up rate is significantly LOWER. In Anaheim Hills, I only had a 38% strike rate...but had an 80% single-pin spare shooting rate. In Anaheim, my single-pin spare shooting was worse (73%), but I was striking about 49% of the time. My single-pin spare shooting rate here in Iowa is an abysmal 65%. That's 8-15% lower than it was in California.

So...I guess I know what I need to work on. I need to get that % Open number down to closer to 20%. While picking up a few more multi-pin spares would help...I need to fix my single-pin spare shooting. 65% is not acceptable and I can do better than that...significantly better.

The ball spinner is still in pieces in my dining room. I sent a letter to the company asking for another bolt and some help with the wiring...never got a reply. I even included $20 cash in the correspondence to compensate them for their time/materials. It's hard to work with them over the phone...especially when it's during the week and I'm busy at work. So...that drama continues.

593 Series: 192 (clean)-235-166

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.12 pins
    Strikes: 50%
    Spares: 68% picked up

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 3-pin and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 and 1-2-4-10 washout (2x).

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 197.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 201.67.

Didn't have a great first game...but my spare shooting was solid. First clean game in...well, since probably 2017. And it wasn't easy...lots of spares and not many strikes. X, /, /, /, X, /, /, /, X, /, X.

Second game was a lot better. A stone 9-pin in the 3rd interrupted a 7-bagger. Only open was on a 7-pin in the 8th.

By the beginning of Game 3...my line had moved in enough that I needed to make an almost perfect shot in order to strike...so I switched to the Warning Sign and moved right a bit. Seemed like the right move...put together a turkey...but then the wheels just fell off my game in the last 3 frames...opened on two makeable spares...then a 1-2-4-10 washout in the 10th that I couldn't pick up.

Overall a good night. This pair was the drier pair in the house...which fits my game. It was also a game against Tom Hess's team...and I think everyone steps their game up a bit when a PBA tour pro is watching. I'm not the anchor...so I didn't bowl against him directly...but I would have beaten him 1 out of 3 scratch and probably 2 out of 3 handicap. Let's just say...he wasn't in a good mood...lots of throwing things and kicking things. They are the #1 team in the league and we are 3rd from last...yet we probably took 26 out of 40 points. I almost felt bad for my opponent...he was a 214 average bowler that averaged 192 that night...bowling against a 177 average bowler that averaged over 197.

Chats: 32

Nice Set Aslan
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Nice Set Aslan
    Thank you. About time...but I'll take it.

563 Series: 161-190 (clean)-212

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.85 pins
    Strikes: 38%
    Spares: 80% picked up

Single Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 5-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 81% (9/11)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 and 1-2 (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 187.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 195.33.

First game struggles continue. This time was kinda my fault because I showed up late and didn't get any practice time. Three opens, but two of them were splits. Just never got lined up right.

Game 2 was more of the same. Good spare shooting, but just never really got lined up where I had a good strike line.

After 2 frames in Game 3, I switched to the Warning Sign. Made a stupid move right to try and compensate for the weaker Warning Sign...but it was too far right and it took me most of Game 3 to get lined back up. Struck out with a 5-bagger to finally get a respectable score.

Only 4 opens and I average 187?? Sometimes this can be a cruel sport!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Thank you. About time...but I'll take it.

Only 4 opens and I average 187?? Sometimes this can be a cruel sport!
    187 average with four opens sounds about right. The maximum score without striking is 190, and unless you can put strikes together, a strike is realy only worth a few pins more than a spare. Think about a dutch 200, five strikes and it’s only 200.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    187 average with four opens sounds about right. The maximum score without striking is 190, and unless you can put strikes together, a strike is realy only worth a few pins more than a spare. Think about a dutch 200, five strikes and it’s only 200.
    I didn't say I scored it wrong...only that I didn't like it.

576 Series: 193-208-175

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.85 pins
    Strikes: 51%
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (4/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (2x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 60% (6/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a (1x each).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 192.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 199.00.

4 out 5 shots struck on the right lane...only 1 out of 6 on the left lane. Decided to get a little "balsy"...and started throwing a different ball on each lane. The "one" strike on the left lane was a result of that change. Missed 4-pin in the 1st frame away from a clean game.

Game 2, 4 out of 5 strikes on that left lane...but only 3 out of 6 strikes on the right lane.

Made some adjustments and struck 4 out of 5 times on the right lane...but only 1 out of 6 shots on the left side were strikes.

Won 3 out of 4 points against my opponent, so I guess it wasn't a bad night. I kinda got used to having a clean game, so it feels a bit disappointing despite the higher average.

Page 184 of 225 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast